Technical, quality and environmental efficiency of the olive oil industry
This paper studies the level of technical efficiency in the olive oil industry from a multi-output perspective, and examines olive oil production in quantitative and qualitative terms. The study also covers the environmental impact of the production process. These are key issues due to the current environmental, organoleptic and food traceability requirements of the EU Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). Furthermore, product differentiation is sought after in today's ever more demanding markets. The production of olive oil in Andalusia (Spain) is the most important agricultural food industry in the whole region and it represents 30% of world olive oil production. Three data sources have been used: a comprehensive survey to a sample of olive oil producers, their financial reports, and the opinion of a group of experts in olive oil production techniques interviewed by means of the Delphi survey. With this data and after the construction of indicators, a production frontier is elaborated by applying an extension of the Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) technique. This will allow for the measuring of the relative technical efficiency indices and set specific efficiency indices for both the quality of the oil produced and the environmental impact of the production process. Those factors impacting on efficiency are determined by a truncated regression model with bootstrap. The results show a medium-high level of relative technical efficiency and highlight the importance of efficiency factors involving production and marketing associations.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tzouvelekas, Vangelis & Pantzios, Christos J. & Fotopoulos, Christos, 2001. "Technical efficiency of alternative farming systems: the case of Greek organic and conventional olive-growing farms," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 549-569, December.
- Myungsup Kim & Yangseon Kim & Peter Schmidt, 2007.
"On the accuracy of bootstrap confidence intervals for efficiency levels in stochastic frontier models with panel data,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 165-181, December.
- Myungsup Kim & Yangseon Kim & Peter Schmidt, 2006. "On the Accuracy of Bootstrap Confidence Intervals for Efficiency Levels in Stochastic Frontier Models with Panel Data," Working Papers 0704, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Aull-Hyde, Rhonda & Erdogan, Sevgi & Duke, Joshua M., 2006. "An experiment on the consistency of aggregated comparison matrices in AHP," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 171(1), pages 290-295, May.
- P. Lynn Kennedy & R. Wes Harrison & Nicholas G. Kalaitzandonakes & H. Christopher Peterson & Ronald P. Rindfuss, 1997. "Perspectives on evaluating competitiveness in agribusiness industries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 385-392.
- Kapellakis, I.E. & Tsagarakis, K.P. & Avramaki, Ch. & Angelakis, A.N., 2006. "Olive mill wastewater management in river basins: A case study in Greece," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 354-370, April.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2007.
"Measuring Technical Efficiency in the Stochastic Varying Coefficient Frontier Model,"
0725, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2009. "Measuring technical efficiency in the stochastic varying coefficient frontier model," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(4), pages 389-396, 07.
- Lambarraa, Fatima & Serra, Teresa & Gil Roig, Jose Maria, 2006. "Technical efficiency analysis and decomposition of productivity growth of Spanish olive farms," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10071, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Boris Bravo-Ureta & Daniel Solís & Víctor Moreira López & José Maripani & Abdourahmane Thiam & Teodoro Rivas, 2007. "Technical efficiency in farming: a meta-regression analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 57-72, February.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Kien Tran & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2000. "Efficiency, technological change and output growth in Greek olive growing farms: a Box-Cox approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 909-916.
- Paul J. H. Schoemaker & C. Carter Waid, 1982. "An Experimental Comparison of Different Approaches to Determining Weights in Additive Utility Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(2), pages 182-196, February.
- Samir Mili & Manuel Rodr�guez Z��iga, 2001. "Exploring future developments in international olive oil trade and marketing: A Spanish perspective," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 397-415.
- Juan C. Gázquez-Abad & Manuel Sánchez-Pérez, 2009. "Factors influencing olive oil brand choice in Spain: an empirical analysis using scanner data," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 36-55.
- Pattara, C. & Cappelletti, G.M. & Cichelli, A., 2010. "Recovery and use of olive stones: Commodity, environmental and economic assessment," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1484-1489, June.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Roos, P., 1995. "Productivity and quality changes in Swedish pharmacies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 137-144, April.
- Anders Malmberg & Peter Maskell, 2002. "The elusive concept of localization economies: towards a knowledge-based theory of spatial clustering," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(3), pages 429-449, March.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Kien C. Tran & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2003. "On the choice of functional form in stochastic frontier modeling," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 75-100, January.
- Amores, Antonio F. & Contreras, Ignacio, 2009. "New approach for the assignment of new European agricultural subsidies using scores from data envelopment analysis: Application to olive-growing farms in Andalusia (Spain)," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(3), pages 718-729, March.
- Ruggiero, John, 2004. "Performance evaluation when non-discretionary factors correlate with technical efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 250-257, November.
- Staat, Matthias, 2002. "Bootstrapped efficiency estimates for a model for groups and hierarchies in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 1-8, April.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- Dimara, Efthalia & Skuras, Dimitris & Tsekouras, Kostas & Tzelepis, Dimitris, 2008. "Productive efficiency and firm exit in the food sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 185-196, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:36:y:2011:i:4:p:526-534. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.