Factors influencing olive oil brand choice in Spain: an empirical analysis using scanner data
Olive oil consumption is growing all around the world as a consequence of the extension of the Mediterranean diet. Because of limited production, pricing, promotions, and consumer-related variables are essential to explain olive oil consumer behavior. As a consequence of this increasing consumption, it is fundamental to analyze the main factors influencing consumers' olive oil choices for both brands and retailers to be able to compete more efficiently and satisfy consumer needs more closely. But, few such studies are concerned with olive oil (although a great many works in the literature analyze the influence of these factors in other product categories). In a sociocultural context like the Spanish market, in which brand awareness is strong and the use of the product is very high, these factors are even more important. Thus, the main objective of this article is to determine and assess how different marketing variables, such as price, price discounts, use of store flyers and loyalty, explain olive oil brand choice. [Econlit citations: M310, Q130]. © 2009 wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kannan, P. K. & Yim, Chi Kin (Bennett), 2001. "An investigation of the impact of promotions on across-submarket competition," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 137-149, September.
- Igal Hendel & Aviv Nevo, 2006.
"Measuring the Implications of Sales and Consumer Inventory Behavior,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1637-1673, November.
- Igal Hendel & Aviv Nevo, 2005. "Measuring the Implications of Sales and Consumer Inventory Behavior," NBER Working Papers 11307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kamel Jedidi & Carl F. Mela & Sunil Gupta, 1999. "Managing Advertising and Promotion for Long-Run Profitability," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Rajiv Lal & J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 1998. "Price Promotions and Trade Deals with Multiproduct Retailers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 935-949, July.
- Marian García Martínez & Zulema Aragonés & Nigel Poole, 2002. "A repositioning strategy for olive oil in the UK market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 163-180.
- Ronald W. Ward & Julian Briz & Isabel de Felipe, 2003. "Competing supplies of olive oil in the German market: An application of multinomial logit models," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 393-406.
- Martin Pesendorfer, 2002. "Retail Sales: A Study of Pricing Behavior in Supermarkets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(1), pages 33-66, January.
- Peter M. Guadagni & John D. C. Little, 1983. "A Logit Model of Brand Choice Calibrated on Scanner Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 203-238.
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
- E. William Nganje & Simeon Kaitibie & Thomas Taban, 2005. "Multinomial logit models comparing consumers' and producers' risk perception of specialty meat," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 375-390.
- Chintagunta, Pradeep K & Prasad, Alok R, 1998. "An Empirical Investigation of the "Dynamic McFadden" Model of Purchase Timing and Brand Choice: Implications for Market Structure," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(1), pages 2-12, January.
- Mulhern, Francis J. & Leone, Robert P., 1990. "Retail promotional advertising : Do the number of deal items and size of deal discounts affect store performance?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 179-194, November.
- Lee G. Cooper, 1988. "Competitive Maps: The Structure Underlying Asymmetric Cross Elasticities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(6), pages 707-723, June.
- Jon H. Hanf & Rainer Kühl, 2005. "Branding and its consequences for German agribusiness," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 177-189.
- Sivakumar, K., 2004. "Manifestations and measurement of asymmetric brand competition," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(8), pages 813-820, August.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 2001. "Endogeneity and Heterogeneity in a Probit Demand Model: Estimation Using Aggregate Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(4), pages 442-456, December.
- Siskos, Y. & Matsatsinis, N. F. & Baourakis, G., 2001. "Multicriteria analysis in agricultural marketing: The case of French olive oil market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 315-331, April.
- D. VAN DEN POEL & Jan J. DE SCHAMPHELAERE & G. WETS, 2003. "Direct and Indirect Effects of Retail Promotions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/202, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:1:p:36-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.