Service innovation: A comparative study of U.S. and Indian service firms
Although major contributions are being made by the service sector in creating wealth, the sector's substantive role in generating and use of innovation is lacking meticulous examination. Academics, managers, and policy makers lack insights into outcomes of service innovation and identifying factors influencing why some innovations succeed and others fail. This study contributes to service management by: (1) developing a comparative theoretical model based on the Strategic Innovation Paradigm, Bain's Social-Conduct-Performance (S-C-P) Paradigm and Social Capital Theory of Innovation; (2) testing the model with Partial Least Squares (PLS) using managerial data from various service industries; and (3) comparing results across a developed (U.S.) and an emerging (India) economy. Results indicate similar managerial perceptions of service innovation success and impeding factors. U.S. managers indicate that factors beyond their control have a negative impact on service innovation, while these factors are not a significant predictor of innovation in the Indian sample. Findings further indicate that service innovation positively relates to the firms' non-financial and financial performance. Related implications for firms, consumers, public policy and future research are discussed.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johan Hauknes, . "Services in Innovation – Innovation in Services," STEP Report series 199813, The STEP Group, Studies in technology, innovation and economic policy.
- de Brentani, Ulrike, 1995. "New industrial service development: Scenarios for success and failure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 93-103, February.
- Davis, Steven J. & Haltiwanger, John, 1999. "Gross job flows," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 41, pages 2711-2805 Elsevier.
- Blazevic, Vera & Lievens, Annouk, 2004. "Learning during the new financial service innovation process: Antecedents and performance effects," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 374-391, April.
- Billie Jo Zirger & Modesto A. Maidique, 1990. "A Model of New Product Development: An Empirical Test," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(7), pages 867-883, July.
- A. Lievens, 2000. "Project Team Communication in Financial Service Innovation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(5), pages 733-766, 07.
- Hipp, Christiane & Grupp, Hariolf, 2005. "Innovation in the service sector: The demand for service-specific innovation measurement concepts and typologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 517-535, May.
- Sirilli, Giorgio & Evangelista, Rinaldo, 1998. "Technological innovation in services and manufacturing: results from Italian surveys," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 881-899, December.
- Gudergan, Siegfried P. & Ringle, Christian M. & Wende, Sven & Will, Alexander, 2008. "Confirmatory tetrad analysis in PLS path modeling," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1238-1249, December.
- C. Storey & D. Kelly, 2001. "Measuring the Performance of New Service Development Activities," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 71-90, April.
- Jon Sundbo, 1997. "Management of Innovation in Services," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 432-455, July.
- Richard K. Lyons & Jennifer A. Chatman & Caneel K. Joyce, 2007. "Innovation in services: corporate culture and investment banking," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 26940, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Marja Toivonen & Tiina Tuominen, 2009. "Emergence of innovations in services," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(7), pages 887-902, July.
- Frambach, Ruud T. & Barkema, Harry G. & Nooteboom, Bart & Wedel, Michel, 1998. "Adoption of a service innovation in the business market: An empirical test of supply-side variables," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 161-174, February.
- Mark A. Dutz, 2007. "Unleashing India's Innovation : Toward Sustainable and Inclusive Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6856.
- Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista & Maria Savona, 2004. "The impact of innovation on economic performance in services," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(1), pages 116-130, January.
- Fernanda Nogueira & Carla Susana Marques, 2008. "Organizational Innovation: Research Into The Information/Training Paths Of Decision-Makers Within Hospital," Portuguese Journal of Management Studies, ISEG, Universidade de Lisboa, vol. 0(2), pages 237-254.
- Tufano, Peter, 1989. "Financial innovation and first-mover advantages," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 213-240, December.
- Jeroen de Jong & Brouwer, 1999. "Determinants of the innovative ability of SMEs," Scales Research Reports B199902, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Andrew Chan & FRANK M. GO & RAY PINE, 1998. "Service Innovation in Hong Kong: Attitudes and Practice," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 112-124, April.
- Greis, Noel P. & Dibner, Mark D. & Bean, Alden S., 1995. "External partnering as a response to innovation barriers and global competition in biotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 609-630, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:66:y:2013:i:8:p:1108-1123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.