The deregulation effects of Finnish electricity markets on district heating prices
This paper investigates an empirical econometric panel data model in order to test deregulation and regional market structure effects on district heating prices in Finland for period 1996-2002. The data was collected from 76 district heating firms throughout Finland. Special emphasis is placed on the modeling of policy-induced competition, which began in year 1999, regional based fuel selection, local market structures, and distribution network sharing effects. The results imply that the local structures of energy production and sales have an important role to play in the formation of market prices and that the price lowering effects of energy market deregulation are permanent.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perloff,Jeffrey M. & Karp,Larry S. & Golan,Amos, 2007.
"Estimating Market Power and Strategies,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521804400, December.
- Olsen, Ole Jess & Munksgaard, Jesper, 1998. "Cogeneration and taxation in a liberalized Nordic power market," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 23-33, March.
- Reiss, Peter C. & Wolak, Frank A., 2007. "Structural Econometric Modeling: Rationales and Examples from Industrial Organization," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 64 Elsevier.
- Slade, Margaret E., 2004. "Competing models of firm profitability," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 289-308, March.
- Munksgaard, Jesper & Pade, Lise-Lotte & Fristrup, Peter, 2005. "Efficiency gains in Danish district heating. Is there anything to learn from benchmarking?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(15), pages 1986-1997, October.
- Agrell, Per J. & Bogetoft, Peter, 2005.
"Economic and environmental efficiency of district heating plants,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1351-1362, July.
- AGRELL, Per J. & BOGETOF, Peter, "undated". "Economic and environment efficiency of district heating plants," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1838, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Runar Brannlund & Per-Olov Marklund & Magnus Sjostrom, 2004. "Evaluating market efficiency without price data: the Swedish market for wood fuel," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 31-39.
- Grohnheit, Poul Erik & Gram Mortensen, Bent Ole, 2003. "Competition in the market for space heating. District heating as the infrastructure for competition among fuels and technologies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 817-826, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:32:y:2010:i:5:p:1191-1198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.