Shadow prices of social capital in rural India, a nonparametric approach
This article studies the role of social capital on cotton production efficiency and productivity for a sample of small farms in Maharashtra, India using data envelopment analysis. Input shadow prices are computed as an indicator of the importance of social capital relative to other inputs. Results suggest social capital to be the input with the highest contribution to production efficiency after land. The Luenberger indicator is used to assess the productivity improvement associated to an investment in social capital, which is found to be on the order of 12%. Undertaking collective production activities is found to play an important role in improving productivity. This is especially relevant to agricultural households facing important economic and institutional restrictions that make it difficult to increase conventional (expensive) inputs.
Volume (Year): 240 (2015)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Terrence Casey & Kevin Christ, 2005. "Social Capital and Economic Performance in the American States," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 86(4), pages 826-845.
- John F. Helliwell & Robert D. Putnam, 1995. "Economic Growth and Social Capital in Italy," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 295-307, Summer.
- Kurt Annen, 2001. "Inclusive and Exclusive Social Capital in the Small-Firm Sector in Developing Countries," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 157(2), pages 319-319, June.
- Kreps, David M. & Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John & Wilson, Robert, 1982.
"Rational cooperation in the finitely repeated prisoners' dilemma,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 245-252, August.
- David Kreps & Paul Milgrom & John Roberts & Bob Wilson, 2010. "Rational Cooperation in the Finitely Repeated Prisoners' Dilemma," Levine's Working Paper Archive 239, David K. Levine.
- Wolz, Axel & Fritzsch, Jana & Reinsberg, Klaus, 2005. "The Impact of Social Capital on Farm and Household Income: Results of a Survey among Individual Farmers in Poland," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24442, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Soubeyran, Antoine & Weber, Shlomo, 2002. "District formation and local social capital: a (tacit) co-opetition approach," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 65-92, July.
- Greif, Avner, 1993. "Contract Enforceability and Economic Institutions in Early Trade: the Maghribi Traders' Coalition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 525-548, June.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Leopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2006. "On Testing Equality of Distributions of Technical Efficiency Scores," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 497-522.
- Simar, Leopold & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2004. "On testing equality of distributions of technical efficiency scores," MPRA Paper 28003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Pinheiro, António E., 1993. "Efficiency Analysis of Developing Country Agriculture: A Review of the Frontier Function Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 88-101, April.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Pinheiro, Antonio E., 1993. "Efficiency Analysis Of Developing Country Agriculture: A Review Of The Frontier Function Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 22(1), April.
- Daniel Solís & Boris E. Bravo-Ureta & Ricardo E. Quiroga, 2007. "Soil conservation and technical efficiency among hillside farmers in Central America: a switching regression model ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), pages 491-510, December.
- Solis, Daniel & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Quiroga, Ricardo E., 2007. "Soil conservation and technical efficiency among hillside farmers in Central America: a switching regression model," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), December.
- Solís, Daniel & Bravo-Ureta, Boris & Quiroga, Ricardo E., 2006. "Soil Conservation and Technical Efficiency Among Hillside Farmers in Central America: A Switching Regression Model," Efficiency Series Papers 2006/01, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Pretty, Jules & Ward, Hugh, 2001. "Social Capital and the Environment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 209-227, February.
- Abreu, Dilip, 1988. "On the Theory of Infinitely Repeated Games with Discounting," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 383-396, March.
- Lindon Robison & A. Allan Schmid & Marcelo Siles, 2002. "Is Social Capital Really Capital?," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 60(1), pages 1-21.
- Robison, Lindon J. & Schmid, A. Allan & Siles, Marcelo E., 1999. "Is Social Capital Really Capital?," Staff Papers 11649, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Francisco J. SÁEZ‐FERNÁNDEZ & Andrés J. PICAZO‐TADEO & Carmen M. LLORCA‐RODRÍGUEZ, 2012. "Do Labour Societies Perform Differently To Cooperatives? Evidence From The Spanish Building Industry," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 83(1), pages 61-81, 03.
- Francisco J. Sáez-Fernández & Andrés J. Picazo-Tadeo & Carmen Llorca-Rodríguez, 2011. "Do Labour Societies Perform Differently to Cooperatives? Evidence from the Spanish Building Industry," Working Papers 1109, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Matin Qaim & Alain de Janvry, 2003. "Genetically Modified Crops, Corporate Pricing Strategies, and Farmers' Adoption: The Case of Bt Cotton in Argentina," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 814-828.
- Anil Rupasingha & Stephan J. Goetz & David Freshwater, 2002. "Social and institutional factors as determinants of economic growth: Evidence from the United States counties," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 81(2), pages 139-155, April.
- Anil Rupasingha & Stephan J. Goetz & David Freshwater, 2002. "Social and institutional factors as determinants of economic growth: Evidence from the United States counties," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 81(2), pages 139-155.
- Anil Rupasingha & Stephan J. Goetz & David Freshwater, 2002. "Social and institutional factors as determinants of economic growth: Evidence from the United States counties," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 139-155, April.
- Mark Pelling, 1998. "Participation, social capital and vulnerability to urban flooding in Guyana," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 469-486.
- Paul F. Whiteley, 2000. "Economic Growth and Social Capital," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 48(3), pages 443-466, June.
- Michael Lipton, 2007. "Plant breeding and poverty: Can transgenic seeds replicate the 'Green Revolution' as a source of gains for the poor?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(1), pages 31-62.
- Fox, Jonathan, 1996. "How does civil society thicken? the political construction of social capital in rural Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1089-1103, June.
- Grootaert Grootaert & Deepa Narayan & Veronica Nyhan Jones & Michael Woolcock, 2004. "Measuring Social Capital : An Integrated Questionnaire," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15033, April.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David Laibson & Bruce Sacerdote, 2002. "An Economic Approach to Social Capital," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 437-458, November.
- Schmid, A. Allan, 2000. "Affinity as social capital: its role in development," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 159-171.
- Fox, Jonathan A, 1994. "The Difficult Transition from Clientelism to Citizenship: Lessons from Mexico," Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, Working Paper Series qt4n4746hk, Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, UC Santa Cruz.
- Robert Chambers & Rolf Färe, 2008. "A “calculus” for data envelopment analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 169-175, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Narayan, Deepa & Pritchett, Lant, 1999. "Cents and Sociability: Household Income and Social Capital in Rural Tanzania," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(4), pages 871-897, July.
- Narayan, Deepa & Pritchett, Lant, 1997. "Cents and sociability : household income and social capital in rural Tanzania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1796, The World Bank.
- Sidhu, R.S. & Vatta, Kamal & Kaur, Arjinder, 2008. "Dynamics of institutional agricultural credit and growth in Punjab: contribution and demand-supply gap," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 21(2008).
- Brown, L. David & Ashman, Darcy, 1996. "Participation, social capital, and intersectoral problem solving: African and Asian cases," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(9), pages 1467-1479, September.
- Christiaan Grootaert & Gi-Taik Oh & Anand Swamy, 2002. "Social Capital, Household Welfare and Poverty in Burkina Faso," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 11(1), pages 4-38, March.
- Robison, Lindon J. & Siles, Marcelo E. & Bokemeier, Janet L. & Beveridge, David & Fimmen, Michael & Grummon, Phyllis T. & Fimmen, Carol, 2000. "Social Capital And Household Income Distributions: Evidence From Michigan And Illinois," Agricultural Economic Report Series 10943, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Raghuram, G. & Padmanabhan G, 1992. "The Trucking Industry: An Introductory Note," IIMA Working Papers WP1992-05-01_01102, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Bebbington, Anthony, 1999. "Capitals and Capabilities: A Framework for Analyzing Peasant Viability, Rural Livelihoods and Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2021-2044, December.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Srijit Mishra, 2007. "Risks, farmers' suicides and agrarian crisis in India: Is there a way out?," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2007-014, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Binam, Joachim Nyemeck & Tonye, Jean & wandji, Njankoua & Nyambi, Gwendoline & Akoa, Mireille, 2004. "Factors affecting the technical efficiency among smallholder farmers in the slash and burn agriculture zone of Cameroon," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 531-545, October.
- Van Ha, Nguyen & Kant, Shashi & Maclaren, Virginia, 2008. "Shadow prices of environmental outputs and production efficiency of household-level paper recycling units in Vietnam," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 98-110, March.
- Fox, Jonathan A & Brown, L. David, 1998. ""Introduction", in The Struggle for Accountability: The World Bank, NGOs and Grassroots Movements," Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, Working Paper Series qt2gn108dn, Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, UC Santa Cruz. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:240:y:2015:i:3:p:892-903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.