Looming stations: Valuing transport innovations in historical context
We investigate the impact of transport innovations on the productivity of urban locations in 1890-1936 Berlin, Germany. We find an increase in land value of up to 2.5% per 100Â m decline in distance to urban railway station.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Nicolai Wendland, 2008.
"Fifty Years of Urban Accessibility : The Impact of Urban Railway Network on the Land Gradient in Industrializing Berlin,"
KOF Working papers
08-208, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Nicolai Wendland, 2008. "Fifty Years of Urban Accessibility: The Impact of Urban Railway Network on the Land Gradient in Industrializing Berlin," Working Papers 023, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- LeRoy, Stephen F. & Sonstelie, Jon, 1983. "Paradise lost and regained: Transportation innovation, income, and residential location," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 67-89, January.
- Gibbons, Stephen & Machin, Stephen, 2005.
"Valuing rail access using transport innovations,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 148-169, January.
- Stephen Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2004. "Valuing rail access using transport innovations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19989, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Steve Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2004. "Valuing Rail Access Using Transport Innovations," CEP Discussion Papers dp0611, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010.
"Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
25512, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 205-227, April.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007. "Impact of Sports Arenas on Land Values: Evidence from Berlin," Working Papers 0703, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Ogawa, Hideaki, 1982. "Multiple equilibria and structural transition of non-monocentric urban configurations," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 161-196, May.
- Daniel P. McMillen & John McDonald, 2004. "Reaction of House Prices to a New Rapid Transit Line: Chicago's Midway Line, 1983-1999," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 463-486, 09.
- Margo, Robert A., 1996. "The Rental Price of Housing in New York City, 1830–1860," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 56(03), pages 605-625, September.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr., 2001. "Externalities and Cities," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(2), pages 245-274, April.
- Bowes, David R. & Ihlanfeldt, Keith R., 2001. "Identifying the Impacts of Rail Transit Stations on Residential Property Values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, July.
- Atack, Jeremy & Margo, Robert A, 1998. ""Location, Location, Location!" The Price Gradient for Vacant Urban Land: New York, 1835 to 1900," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 151-72, March.
- Dean H. Gatzlaff & Marc T. Smith, 1993. "The Impact of the Miami Metrorail on the Value of Residences near Station Locations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(1), pages 54-66.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 1996. "One Hundred Fifty Years of Land Values in Chicago: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 100-124, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:105:y:2009:i:1:p:97-99. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.