Rail mega-projects in the realm of inter- and intra-city accessibility: evidence and outlooks for Berlin
This article summarizes and complements recent quantitative research on the impact of the Berlin railway system on the urban economy. Evidence suggests that access to intra-city rail lines has had a considerable impact on the value of urban land since at least the late nineteenth century. Since then, access to the intra-city rail network has remained a significant determinant of urban land value, although the marginal impact has decreased over time. In contrast, the post-unification realignment of Berlin's inter-city rail system has had, if any, only a weak impact on real estate markets. Micro-level simulations indicate that the new central station's connection to the urban railway network is likely to have more pronounced, although relatively localized impacts, raising the question of how to balance the cost for infrastructure among landlords and society.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Built Environment, March, 2012, 38(1), pp. 71-88. ISSN: 0263-7960|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahlfeldt, Gabriel M. & Wendland, Nicolai, 2009.
"Looming stations: Valuing transport innovations in historical context,"
Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 97-99, October.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Nicolai Wendland, 2009. "Looming stations: valuing transport innovations in historical context," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25514, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Coffman, Chad & Gregson, Mary Eschelbach, 1998. "Railroad Development and Land Value," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 191-204, March.
- Gibbons, Stephen & Machin, Stephen, 2005.
"Valuing rail access using transport innovations,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 148-169, January.
- Stephen Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2004. "Valuing rail access using transport innovations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19989, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Steve Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2004. "Valuing Rail Access Using Transport Innovations," CEP Discussion Papers dp0611, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- repec:ieb:wpaper:2010/9/doc2010-38 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:43493. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.