Transit investment and economic development
This paper describes the development of approaches to analysing the links between investment in transit and economic development. It indicates the need to bring together disparate approaches from urban economics and transportation economics to get a full understanding and uses recent results on agglomeration economies to present a more rigorous model of the wider economic benefits of transit investment. Although the evidence increasingly points towards identifiable benefits over and above those captured in conventional transport cost-benefit analysis, the chapter counsels against the assumption of simple rules.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620614/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujita,Masahisa, 1991.
"Urban Economic Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521396455, June.
- Leo Sveikauskas, 1975. "The Productivity of Cities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 89(3), pages 393-413.
- K Spiekermann & M Wegener, 1994. "The shrinking continent: new time - space maps of Europe," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 21(6), pages 653-673, November.
- Steve Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2004.
"Valuing Rail Access Using Transport Innovations,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0611, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Dewees, D. N., 1976. "The effect of a subway on residential property values in Toronto," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 357-369, October.
- Joseph Berechman & Dilruba Ozmen & Kaan Ozbay, 2006. "Empirical analysis of transportation investment and economic development at state, county and municipality levels," Transportation, Springer, vol. 33(6), pages 537-551, November.
- Tony Venables, 2004.
"Evaluating urban transport improvements: cost benefit analysis in the presence of agglomeration and income taxation,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2205, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2007. "Evaluating Urban Transport Improvements: Cost-Benefit Analysis in the Presence of Agglomeration and Income Taxation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 41(2), pages 173-188, May.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2004. "Evaluating Urban Transport Improvements: Cost Benefit Analysis in the Presence of Agglomeration and Income Taxation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0651, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Roger Vickerman, 2007. "Recent Evolution of Research into the Wider Economic Benefits of Transport Infrastructure Investments," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2007/9, OECD Publishing.
- Patricia Rice & Anthony Venables, 2003. "Equilibrium Regional Disparities: Theory and British Evidence," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6-7), pages 675-686.
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 2003.
"Marshall's scale economies,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Patricia Rice & Tony Venables, 2004.
"Spatial determinants of productivity: analysis for the regions of Great Britain,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2040, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rice, Patricia & Venables, Anthony J. & Patacchini, Eleonora, 2006. "Spatial determinants of productivity: Analysis for the regions of Great Britain," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 727-752, November.
- Patricia Rice & Anthony J. Venables, 2004. "Spatial Determinants of Productivity: Analysis for the Regions of Great Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0642, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rice, Patricia & Venables, Anthony J, 2004. "Spatial Determinants of Productivity: Analysis for the Regions of Great Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 4527, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dean H. Gatzlaff & Marc T. Smith, 1993. "The Impact of the Miami Metrorail on the Value of Residences near Station Locations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(1), pages 54-66.
- Laird, James J. & Nellthorp, John & Mackie, Peter J., 2005. "Network effects and total economic impact in transport appraisal," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 537-544, November.
- Daniel P. McMillen & John McDonald, 2004. "Reaction of House Prices to a New Rapid Transit Line: Chicago's Midway Line, 1983-1999," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 463-486, 09.
- Bowes, David R. & Ihlanfeldt, Keith R., 2001. "Identifying the Impacts of Rail Transit Stations on Residential Property Values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, July.
- Matthew E. Kahn, 2007. "Gentrification Trends in New Transit-Oriented Communities: Evidence from 14 Cities That Expanded and Built Rail Transit Systems," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 35(2), pages 155-182, 06.
- Eleonora Patacchini & Patricia Rice, 2007.
"Geography and Economic Performance: Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis for Great Britain,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 489-508.
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Rice, Patricia, 2005. "Geography and economic performance: exploratory spatial data analysis for Great Britain," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0602, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Roger Vickerman & Klaus Spiekermann & Michael Wegener, 1999. "Accessibility and Economic Development in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 1-15.
- Olivier Klein & Gérard Claisse & Pascal Pochet, 1997. "Le TGV-Atlantique : entre récession et concurrence," Post-Print halshs-00139468, HAL.
- Nakamura, Ryohei, 1985. "Agglomeration economies in urban manufacturing industries: A case of Japanese cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 108-124, January.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 1986. "Efficiency of resource usage and city size," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 47-70, January.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995.
"Productivity and the density of economic activity,"
Economics Working Papers
120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Roger Vickerman, 2007. "Cost – benefit analysis and large-scale infrastructure projects: state of the art and challenges," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(4), pages 598-610, July.
- Ciccone, Antonio, 2002.
"Agglomeration effects in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 213-227, February.
- Daniel J. Graham, 2007. "Agglomeration, Productivity and Transport Investment," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 41(3), pages 317-343, September.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
- Jan Oosterhaven & Lourens Broersma, 2007. "Sector Structure and Cluster Economies: A Decomposition of Regional Labour Productivity," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 639-659.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:retrec:v:23:y:2008:i:1:p:107-115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.