Evaluating benefits of transportation in models of new economic geography
In the presence of price distortions, cost-benefit analysis must include changes in the deadweight loss in addition to the direct benefits and costs to transportation users and nonusers. Advances in new economic geography (NEG) have highlighted the importance of price distortions associated with imperfect competition. This paper reviews recent contributions to cost-benefit analysis in NEG models, and explores which elements of the models have contributed to the differences in the results obtained.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kristian Behrens & Yoshitsugu Kanemoto & Yasusada Murata, 2010.
"The Henry George Theorem in A Second-Best World,"
CIRJE-F-773, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Behrens, Kristian & Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu & Murata, Yasusada, 2010. "The Henry George Theorem in a second-best world," CEPR Discussion Papers 8120, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kristian Behrens & Yoshitsugu Kanemoto & Yasusada Murata, 2014. "The Henry George Theorem in a second-best world," GRIPS Discussion Papers 14-11, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Graham, Daniel J., 2007. "Variable returns to agglomeration and the effect of road traffic congestion," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 103-120, July.
- Ed Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000.
NBER Working Papers
7790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000. "Consumer City," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1901, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Vickerman, Roger, 2008. "Transit investment and economic development," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 107-115, January.
- Jan De Loecker & Frederic Warzynski, 2009.
"Markups and firm-level export status,"
NBER Working Papers
15198, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Loecker, Jan & Warzynski, Frederic, 2009. "Markups and Firm-level Export Status," CEPR Discussion Papers 7450, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Locker, Jan & Warzynski, Frederic, 2009. "Markups and Firm-Level Export Status," Working Papers 09-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Torben Holvad & John Preston, 2005. "Road Transport Investment Projects and Additional Economic Benefits," ERSA conference papers ersa05p522, European Regional Science Association.
- Peng, Shin-Kun & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Wang, Ping, 2006.
"Economic integration and agglomeration in a middle product economy,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 1-25, November.
- Peng, Shin-Kun & Thisse, Jacques-François & Wang, Ping, 2004. "Economic Integration and Agglomeration in a Middle Product Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 4441, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shin-Kun Peng & Jacques-François Thisse & Ping Wang, 2005. "Economic Integration and Agglomeration in a Middle Product Economy," IEAS Working Paper : academic research 05-A006, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- PENG, Shin-Kun & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois & WANG, Ping, 2004. "Economic integration and agglomeration in a middle product economy," CORE Discussion Papers 2004015, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Feenstra, Robert C., 2003. "A homothetic utility function for monopolistic competition models, without constant price elasticity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 79-86, January.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2007.
"Evaluating Urban Transport Improvements: Cost-Benefit Analysis in the Presence of Agglomeration and Income Taxation,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
University of Bath, vol. 41(2), pages 173-188, May.
- Tony Venables, 2004. "Evaluating urban transport improvements: cost benefit analysis in the presence of agglomeration and income taxation," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2205, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2004. "Evaluating Urban Transport Improvements: Cost Benefit Analysis in the Presence of Agglomeration and Income Taxation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0651, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2004. "Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2119-2171 Elsevier.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 2013.
"Second-best cost–benefit analysis in monopolistic competition models of urban agglomeration,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 83-92.
- Yoshitsugu Kanemoto, 2012. "Second-Best Cost-Benefit Analysis in Monopolistic Competition Models of Urban Agglomeration," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-21, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu & Mera, Koichi, 1985.
"General equilibrium analysis of the benefits of large transportation improvements,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 343-363, August.
- Yoshitsugu Kanemoto & Koichi Mera, 1984. "General Equilibrium Analysis of the Benefits of Large Transportation Improvements," Working Papers 567, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Chisato Asahi & Satoshi Hikino & Yoshitsugu Kanemoto, 2008. "Consumption Side Agglomeration Economies in Japanese Cities," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-561, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Yoshitsugu Kanemoto, 2012. "Cost-Benefit Analysis in Monopolistic Competition Models of Urban Agglomeration," GRIPS Discussion Papers 12-04, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Daniel J. Graham, 2007. "Agglomeration, Productivity and Transport Investment," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 41(3), pages 317-343, September.
- Rouwendal Jan, 2012. "Indirect Effects in Cost-Benefit Analysis," Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Tabuchi, Takatoshi & Yoshida, Atsushi, 2000. "Separating Urban Agglomeration Economies in Consumption and Production," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 70-84, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecotra:v:2:y:2013:i:2:p:53-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.