Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin
This paper develops a hedonic price model explaining standard land values in Berlin. The model assesses the impact of three multifunctional sports arenas situated in Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg which were designed to improve the attractiveness of their formerly deprived neighbourhoods. Empirical results confirm expectations about the impact of various attributes on land values. Sports arenas have significant positive impacts within a radius of about 3000 meters. The patterns of impact vary, indicating that the effective impact depends on how planning authorities address potential countervailing negative externalities.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muellbauer, John, 1974. "Household Production Theory, Quality, and the "Hedonic Technique."," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 977-94, December.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad R., 2003. "The effect of professional sports on earnings and employment in the services and retail sectors in US cities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 175-198, March.
- Gerald A. Carlino & N. Edward Coulson, 2002.
"Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL,"
02-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Carlino, Gerald & Coulson, N. Edward, 2004. "Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 25-50, July.
- Colwell, Peter F & Munneke, Henry J, 1999. "Land Prices and Land Assembly in the CBD," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 163-80, March.
- Dean H. Gatzlaff & Marc T. Smith, 1993. "The Impact of the Miami Metrorail on the Value of Residences near Station Locations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(1), pages 54-66.
- Hans R. Isakson, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of the Value of Vacant Land," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 13(2), pages 103-114.
- Baade, Robert A & Dye, Richard F, 1988. "An Analysis of the Economic Rationale for Public Subsidization of Sports Stadiums," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 37-47, July.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad R., 2006. "Proximity benefits and voting on stadium and arena subsidies," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 285-299, March.
- Peter F. Colwell & Carolyn A. Dehring & Nicholas A. Lash, 2000. "The Effect of Group Homes on Neighborhood Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(4), pages 615-637.
- Can, Ayse & Megbolugbe, Isaac, 1997. "Spatial Dependence and House Price Index Construction," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1-2), pages 203-22, Jan.-Marc.
- Dubin, Robin A. & Sung, Chein-Hsing, 1990. "Specification of hedonic regressions: Non-nested tests on measures of neighborhood quality," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 97-110, January.
- Mills, Edwin S. & Simenauer, Ronald, 1996. "New Hedonic Estimates of Regional Constant Quality House Prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 209-215, March.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 1999. "The growth effects of sport franchises, stadia, and arenas," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 601-624.
- Bowes, David R. & Ihlanfeldt, Keith R., 2001. "Identifying the Impacts of Rail Transit Stations on Residential Property Values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, July.
- Carroll, Thomas M & Clauretie, Terrence M & Jensen, Jeff, 1996. "Living Next to Godliness: Residential Property Values and Churches," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 319-30, May.
- Colwell, Peter F. & Munneke, Henry J., 1997. "The Structure of Urban Land Prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 321-336, May.
- John Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2006. "The Economic Impact of Sports Facilities, Teams and Mega-Events," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 39(4), pages 420-427, December.
- George Galster & Peter Tatian & Kathryn Pettit, 2004. "Supportive Housing and Neighborhood Property Value Externalities," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 80(1), pages 33-54.
- Henry J. Munneke & Barrett A. Slade, 2001. "A Metropolitan Transaction-Based Commercial Price Index: A Time-Varying Parameter Approach," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 29(1), pages 55-84.
- Cheshire, Paul & Sheppard, Stephen, 1995. "On the Price of Land and the Value of Amenities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(246), pages 247-67, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:44:y:2010:i:2:p:205-227. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.