Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin
This paper develops a hedonic price model explaining standard land values in Berlin. The model assesses the impact of three multifunctional sports arenas situated in Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg which were designed to improve the attractiveness of their formerly deprived neighbourhoods. Empirical results confirm expectations about the impact of various attributes on land values. Sports arenas have significant positive impacts within a radius of about 3000 meters. The patterns of impact vary, indicating that the effective impact depends on how planning authorities address potential countervailing negative externalities.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.com/journal/168|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerald A. Carlino & N. Edward Coulson, 2002.
"Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL,"
02-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, revised 01 Sep 2003.
- Carlino, Gerald & Coulson, N. Edward, 2004. "Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 25-50, July.
- Muellbauer, John, 1974. "Household Production Theory, Quality, and the "Hedonic Technique."," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 977-94, December.
- Mills, Edwin S. & Simenauer, Ronald, 1996. "New Hedonic Estimates of Regional Constant Quality House Prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 209-215, March.
- Hans R. Isakson, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of the Value of Vacant Land," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 13(2), pages 103-114.
- Dean H. Gatzlaff & Marc T. Smith, 1993. "The Impact of the Miami Metrorail on the Value of Residences near Station Locations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(1), pages 54-66.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 1999. "The growth effects of sport franchises, stadia, and arenas," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 601-624.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Dubin, Robin A. & Sung, Chein-Hsing, 1990. "Specification of hedonic regressions: Non-nested tests on measures of neighborhood quality," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 97-110, January.
- John Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2006. "The Economic Impact of Sports Facilities, Teams and Mega-Events," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 39(4), pages 420-427, December.
- Can, Ayse & Megbolugbe, Isaac, 1997. "Spatial Dependence and House Price Index Construction," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1-2), pages 203-22, Jan.-Marc.
- Colwell, Peter F. & Munneke, Henry J., 1997. "The Structure of Urban Land Prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 321-336, May.
- Carroll, Thomas M & Clauretie, Terrence M & Jensen, Jeff, 1996. "Living Next to Godliness: Residential Property Values and Churches," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 319-30, May.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad R., 2006. "Proximity benefits and voting on stadium and arena subsidies," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 285-299, March.
- George Galster & Peter Tatian & Kathryn Pettit, 2004. "Supportive Housing and Neighborhood Property Value Externalities," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 80(1), pages 33-54.
- Baade, Robert A & Dye, Richard F, 1988. "An Analysis of the Economic Rationale for Public Subsidization of Sports Stadiums," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 22(2), pages 37-47, July.
- Henry J. Munneke & Barrett A. Slade, 2001. "A Metropolitan Transaction-Based Commercial Price Index: A Time-Varying Parameter Approach," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 29(1), pages 55-84.
- Colwell, Peter F & Munneke, Henry J, 1999. "Land Prices and Land Assembly in the CBD," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 163-80, March.
- Peter F. Colwell & Carolyn A. Dehring & Nicholas A. Lash, 2000. "The Effect of Group Homes on Neighborhood Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(4), pages 615-637.
- Bowes, David R. & Ihlanfeldt, Keith R., 2001. "Identifying the Impacts of Rail Transit Stations on Residential Property Values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, July.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad R., 2003. "The effect of professional sports on earnings and employment in the services and retail sectors in US cities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 175-198, March.
- Cheshire, Paul & Sheppard, Stephen, 1995. "On the Price of Land and the Value of Amenities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(246), pages 247-67, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:44:y:2010:i:2:p:205-227. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.