Lifestyles and Preferences for (Public) Goods: Professional Football in Munich
This paper investigates the 2001 referendum on the Allianz-Arena, a professional soccer stadium in Munich, Germany, with respect to lifestyle-specific voter preferences. Using political party affiliation and milieu probabilities as proxy variables, we find that lifestyle-specific preferences, values and attitudes more significantly contribute to the explanation of voting outcome compared to traditional strata-orientated indicators of economic wealth. Thus, lifestyle, preferences, tastes and attitudes are not proportionally related to income. Results are robust to stadium proximity effects and spatial dependency.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Hamburg Contemporary Economic Discussions, Issue 30, 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Von-Melle-Park 5 D-20146 Hamburg|
Fax: 49 (0)40 / 4123-6322
Web page: http://www.hced.uni-hamburg.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993.
"Protection for Sale,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1992. "Protection For Sale," NBER Working Papers 4149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 21-92, Tel Aviv.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Charles C. Tu, 2005. "How Does a New Sports Stadium Affect Housing Values? The Case of FedEx Field," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(3).
- Carolyn A. Dehring & Craig A. Depken & Michael R. Ward, 2007.
"The Impact Of Stadium Announcements On Residential Property Values: Evidence From A Natural Experiment In Dallas-Fort Worth,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(4), pages 627-638, October.
- Carolyn A. Dehring & Craig A. Depken, II & Michael R. Ward, 2006. "The Impact of Stadium Announcements on Residential Property Values: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Dallas-Fort Worth," Working Papers 0616, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Craig A. Depken & Michael R. Ward & Carolyn A. Dehring, 2006. "The Impact of Stadium Announcements on Residential Property Values: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Dallas-Fort Worth," Working Papers 0602, University of Texas at Arlington, Department of Economics.
- Gerald A. Carlino & N. Edward Coulson, 2002.
"Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL,"
02-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, revised 01 Sep 2003.
- Carlino, Gerald & Coulson, N. Edward, 2004. "Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 25-50, July.
- Peter A. Groothuis & Bruce K. Johnson & John C. Whitehead, 2002.
"Public Funding of Professional Sports Stadiums: Public Choice or Civic Pride?,"
02-09, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Peter A. Groothuis & Bruce K. Johnson & John C. Whitehead, 2004. "Public Funding of Professional Sports Stadiums: Public Choice or Civic Pride?," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 30(4), pages 515-526, Fall.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Schulze, Gunther G & Ursprung, Heinrich W, 2000. "La donna e mobile--Or Is She? Voter Preferences and Public Support for the Performing Arts," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 102(1-2), pages 131-49, January.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad R., 2006. "Proximity benefits and voting on stadium and arena subsidies," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 285-299, March.
- Deacon, Robert T & Shapiro, Perry, 1975. "Private Preference for Collective Goods Revealed Through Voting on Referenda," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 943-55, December.
- Arne Feddersen & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007.
"Arenas vs. Multifunctional Stadia – Which Do Spectators Prefer?,"
014, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Arne Feddersen & Wolfgang Maennig, 2008. "Arenas vs. Multifunctional Stadia – Which Do Spectators Prefer?," Working Papers 0815, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Quigley, John M. & Smolensky, Eugene, 1997. "Stickball in San Francisco," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt3rw313m3, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Arne Feddersen & Wolfgang Maennig, 2005. "Trends in Competitive Balance: Is there Evidence for Growing Imbalance in Professional Sport Leagues?," Working Papers 0012005, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Georgios Kavetsos & Stefan Szymanski, 2008.
"National Wellbeing and International Sports Events,"
0804, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Kavetsos, Georgios & Szymanski, Stefan, 2010. "National well-being and international sports events," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 158-171, April.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Stadium Architecture and Urban Development from the Perspective of Urban Economics," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 629-646, 09.
- Melanie Arntz & Ralf A. Wilke, 2007. "An application of cartographic area interpolation to German administrative data," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 159-180, August.
- Kahn, Matthew E & Matsusaka, John G, 1997. "Demand for Environmental Goods: Evidence from Voting Patterns on California Initiatives," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(1), pages 137-73, April.
- Jeffrey Kline & Dennis Wichelns, 1994. "Using Referendum Data to Characterize Public Support for Purchasing Development Rights to Farmland," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 223-233.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hce:wpaper:030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wolfgang Maennig)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.