The Impact of Stadium Announcements on Residential Property Values: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Dallas-Fort Worth
We investigate the impact of a potential new sports venue on residential property values, focusing on the National Football League's Dallas Cowboys' search for a new host city in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. We ¯nd that residential property values in the city of Dallas increased following the announcement of a possible new stadium in the city of Dallas. At the same time, property val- ues fell throughout the rest of Dallas County, which would have paid for the proposed stadium. These patterns reversed when the Dallas stadium proposal was abandoned. Subsequently, a series of announcements regarding a new publicly-subsidized stadium in nearby Arlington, Texas, had a deleterious effect on residential property values in Arlington. In aggregate, average property values declined approximately 1.5% relative to the surrounding area before stadium construction com- menced. This decline was almost equal to the anticipated household sales tax burden, suggesting that the average expected amenity e®ect of hosting the Cowboys in Arlington was not signi¯cantly different from zero.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 309 Business Bldg., Box 19479, Arlington, Tx 76013|
Phone: (817) 272-3061
Fax: (817) 272-3145
Web page: http://economics.uta.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cassel, Eric & Mendelsohn, Robert, 1985. "The choice of functional forms for hedonic price equations: Comment," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 135-142, September.
- John J. Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2000. "The Economics of Sports Facilities and Their Communities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 95-114, Summer.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad R. & Zimbalist, Andrew, 2006. "Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL: A comment," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 124-131, July.
- Jordan Rappaport & Chad R. Wilkerson, 2001. "What are the benefits of hosting a major league sports franchise?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q I, pages 55-86.
- Lansford, Notie H., Jr. & Jones, Lonnie L., 1995.
"Marginal Price Of Lake Recreation And Aesthetics: An Hedonic Approach,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Lansford, Notie H. & Jones, Lonnie L., 1995. "Marginal Price of Lake Recreation and Aesthetics: An Hedonic Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 212-223, July.
- Gerald A. Carlino & N. Edward Coulson, 2002.
"Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL,"
02-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, revised 01 Sep 2003.
- Carlino, Gerald & Coulson, N. Edward, 2004. "Compensating differentials and the social benefits of the NFL," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 25-50, July.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Man, Joyce Y. & Bell, Michael E., 1996. "The Impact of Local Sales Tax on the Value of Owner-Occupied Housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 114-131, January.
- Elena G. Irwin, 2002. "The Effects of Open Space on Residential Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(4), pages 465-480.
- Carolyn Dehring & Neil Dunse, 2006. "Housing Density and the Effect of Proximity to Public Open Space in Aberdeen, Scotland," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(4), pages 553-566, December.
- Peter F. Colwell & Carolyn A. Dehring & Nicholas A. Lash, 2000. "The Effect of Group Homes on Neighborhood Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(4), pages 615-637.
- Espey, Molly & Owusu-Edusei, Kwame, 2001. "Neighborhood Parks And Residential Property Values In Greenville, South Carolina," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(03), December.
- Charles C. Tu, 2005. "How Does a New Sports Stadium Affect Housing Values? The Case of FedEx Field," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(3), pages -.
- Carlino, Gerald & Coulson, N. Edward, 2006. "Compensating differentials and the social benefit of the NFL: Reply," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 132-138, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:txa:wpaper:0602. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shushanik Papanyan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.