Public Funding of Professional Sports Stadiums: Public Choice or Civic Pride?
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Peter A. Groothuis & Bruce K. Johnson & John C. Whitehead, 2002. "Public Funding of Professional Sports Stadiums: Public Choice or Civic Pride?," Working Papers 02-09, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bruce K. Johnson & Peter A. Groothuis & John C. Whitehead, 2001. "The Value of Public Goods Generated by a Major League Sports Team," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 2(1), pages 6-21, February.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 1999. "The growth effects of sport franchises, stadia, and arenas," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 601-624.
- BK. Johnson & JC. Whitehead, 2000. "Value of public goods from sports stadiums: the CVM approach," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(1), pages 48-58, January.
- Bruce K. Johnson & Peter A. Groothuis & John C. Whitehead, 2000. "“The Value of Public Goods Generated by a Major League Sports Team: The CVM Approach,”," Working Papers 0014, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- John J. Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2000. "The Economics of Sports Facilities and Their Communities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 95-114, Summer.
- Richard T. Carson, 2011. "Contingent Valuation," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2489.
- Whitehead, John C. & Groothuis, Peter A. & Blomquist, Glenn C., 1993. "Testing for non-response and sample selection bias in contingent valuation : Analysis of a combination phone/mail survey," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 215-220.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Warziniack, Travis, 2010. "Efficiency of public goods provision in space," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(8), pages 1723-1730, June.
- Robert W. Baumann & Victor A. Matheson & Chihiro Muroi, 2009.
"Bowling in Hawaii,"
Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 10(1), pages 107-123, February.
- Robert Baumann & Victor Matheson & Chihiro Muroi, 2008. "Bowling in Hawaii: Examining the Effectiveness of Sports-Based Tourism Strategies," Working Papers 0807, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Robert Baumann & Victor Matheson & Chihiro Muroi, 2008. "Bowling in Hawaii: Examining the Effectiveness of Sports-Based Tourism Strategies," Working Papers 0808, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Geoffrey Propheter & Megan E. Hatch, 2015. "Evaluating Parking Monetization as a Strategy for Subsidizing Major League Sports Facilities," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Dennis Coates & Victor Matheson, 2011.
"Mega-events and housing costs: raising the rent while raising the roof?,"
The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 46(1), pages 119-137, February.
- Dennis Coates & Victor Matheson, 2009. "Mega-Events and Housing Costs: Raising the Rent while Raising the Roof?," Working Papers 0903, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Dennis Coates & Victor Matheson, 2009. "Mega-Events and Housing Costs: Raising the Rent while Raising the Roof?," Working Papers 0902, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig & Michaela …lschläger, 2012. "Support For and Resistance Against Large Stadiums: The Role of Lifestyle and Other Socio-economic Factors," Chapters, in: Wolfgang Maennig & Andrew Zimbalist (ed.),International Handbook on the Economics of Mega Sporting Events, chapter 7, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Hyunwoong Pyun & Joshua C. Hall, 2019.
"Does the presence of professional football cause crime in a city? Evidence from Pontiac, Michigan,"
Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(36), pages 3958-3970, August.
- Joshua C. Hall & Hyunqoong Pyun, 2016. "Does the Presence of Professional Football Cause Crime in a City? Evidence from Pontiac, Michigan," Working Papers 16-02, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Hyunwoong Pyun, 2019. "Exploring causal relationship between Major League Baseball games and crime: a synthetic control analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 365-383, July.
- Bruce K. Johnson & John C. Whitehead & Daniel S. Mason & Gordon J. Walker, 2012. "Willingness to Pay for Downtown Public Goods Generated by Large, Sports-Anchored Development Projects: The CVM Approach," Working Papers 12-01, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Christina Philippou, 2019. "Towards a unified framework for anti-bribery in sport governance," International Journal of Disclosure and Governance, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(2), pages 83-99, July.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig & Michaela Ölschläger, 2009. "Lifestyles and Preferences for (Public) Goods: Professional Football in Munich," Working Papers 030, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Seth R. Gitter & Thomas A. Rhoads, 2014.
"Stadium Construction And Minor League Baseball Attendance,"
Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(1), pages 144-154, January.
- Seth R. Gitter & Thomas Rhoads, 2010. "Stadium Construction and Minor League Baseball Attendance," Working Papers 2010-06, Towson University, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2010.
- John K. Wilson & Richard Pomfret, 2009. "Government Subsidies for Professional Team Sports in Australia," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 42(3), pages 264-275, September.
- Kim, Woosoon & Walker, Matthew, 2012. "Measuring the social impacts associated with Super Bowl XLIII: Preliminary development of a psychic income scale," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 91-108.
More about this item
KeywordsArena; Sports; Stadiums;
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- R53 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Public Facility Location Analysis; Public Investment and Capital Stock
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eej:eeconj:v:30:y:2004:i:4:p:515-526. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/eeaa1ea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.