Measuring the social impacts associated with Super Bowl XLIII: Preliminary development of a psychic income scale
Sport mega-events have taken on an elevated profile and assumed a key role as urban and regional development strategies. While a number of studies have investigated the potential impacts of these events, most (not surprisingly) have focused on economic, rather than non-economic outcomes. The purpose of this study was to investigate the non-economic features associated with a high profile mega-event in the United States. Based on Crompton's (2004) psychic income paradigm and a comprehensive review of the extant literature, this article describes the development and validation of a self-report scale designed to measure the psychological impact of Super Bowl XLIII on the residents of Tampa Bay, Florida. The research method followed standard scale development techniques. Initial scale validation (i.e., face and content validity) was assessed through a panel of experts and a field test. Principal component analysis (PCA) and confirmatory factor analysis (CFA) were conducted; the results of which revealed that mega-event psychological impact can be examined using 22 items under five factors: (1) community pride as a result of enhanced image, (2) enhanced community attachment, (3) event excitement, (4) community excitement, and (5) pride in efforts to improve community infrastructure.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2003. "Professional Sports Facilities, Franchises and Urban Economic Development," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 03-103, UMBC Department of Economics.
- Peter A. Groothuis & Bruce K. Johnson & John C. Whitehead, 2004.
"Public Funding of Professional Sports Stadiums: Public Choice or Civic Pride?,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 30(4), pages 515-526, Fall.
- Peter A. Groothuis & Bruce K. Johnson & John C. Whitehead, 2002. "Public Funding of Professional Sports Stadiums: Public Choice or Civic Pride?," Working Papers 02-09, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Matthew Walker & Michael J. Mondello, 2007. "Moving Beyond Economic Impact: A Closer Look at the Contingent Valuation Method," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 2(3), pages 149-160, August.
- Bloch, Peter H & Sherrell, Daniel L & Ridgway, Nancy M, 1986. " Consumer Search: An Extended Framework," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(1), pages 119-26, June.
- Christine Green, B., 2001. "Leveraging Subculture and Identity to Promote Sport Events," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-19, May.
- Victor Matheson & Robert Baade, 2004. "Padding Required: Assessing the Economic Impact of the Super Bowl," Working Papers 0403, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- BK. Johnson & JC. Whitehead, 2000. "Value of public goods from sports stadiums: the CVM approach," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(1), pages 48-58, 01.
- John J. Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2000. "The Economics of Sports Facilities and Their Communities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 95-114, Summer.
- Scitovsky, Tibor, 1981. "The Desire for Excitement in Modern Society," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 3-13.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00287137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mules, Trevor, 1998. "Taxpayer Subsidies for Major Sporting Events," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 25-43, November.
- Gibson, Heather J., 1998. "Sport Tourism: A Critical Analysis of Research," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 45-76, November.
- Bruce K. Johnson & Peter A. Groothuis & John C. Whitehead, 2001. "The Value of Public Goods Generated by a Major League Sports Team: The CVM Approach," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 2(1), pages 6-21, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spomar:v:15:y:2012:i:1:p:91-108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.