An experimental approach to valuing new differentiated products
An experimental store was created to evaluate initial demand for locally-produced and guaranteed tender steak products as a more realistic alternative to contingent valuation (CV) and dichotomous-choice experimental methods. Strengths of the approach are incentive compatibility, a realistic consumption set, and a familiar choice environment. Consumers selected among USDA Choice, premium quality, lean, guaranteed tender, and locally-produced strip steaks. A double-hurdle count data model indicated initial willingness-to-pay for locally-produced steak comparable to prior CV results, but demand was highly elastic. Demand for premium quality steak crowded out demand for the guaranteed tender product, contrasting with prior dichotomous-choice experimental results.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1994.
"Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept,"
Staff General Research Papers
701, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Seung Y. Shin & Dermot J. Hayes & James B. Kliebenstein, 1994. "Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 255-70, March.
- Buzby, Jean C. & Ready, Richard C. & Skees, Jerry R., 1995. "Contingent Valuation In Food Policy Analysis: A Case Study Of A Pesticide-Residue Risk Reduction," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Dasgupta, Siddhartha & Foltz, John C. & Jacobsen, Bonnie, 2000. "Trout Steaks: Consumer Perceptions Of A New Food Item," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 31(03), November.
- Steven Yen, 1999. "Gaussian versus count-data hurdle models: cigarette consumption by women in the US," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 73-76.
- Ravenswaay, Eileen O. van & Hoehn, John P., 1991. "Contingent Valuation and Food Safety: The Case of Pesticide Residues in Food," Staff Papers 201042, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
- Fox, John A. & Shogren, J. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1995. "Experimental Auctions to Measure Willingness to Pay for Food Safety," Staff General Research Papers 5343, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
- Marisa J. Mazzotta & James J. Opaluch, 1995. "Decision Making When Choices Are Complex: A Test of Heiner's Hypothesis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 71(4), pages 500-515.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Kliebenstein, James, 1995. "Valuing Food Safety in Experimental Auction Markets," Staff General Research Papers 835, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cummings, Ronald G & Harrison, Glenn W & Rutstrom, E Elisabet, 1995. "Homegrown Values and Hypothetical Surveys: Is the Dichotomous Choice Approach Incentive-Compatible?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 260-66, March.
- James Mintert & Jayson Lusk & John Fox & Mohammad Koohmaraie & Ted Schroeder, 2001.
"In-store valuation of steak tenderness,"
Framed Field Experiments
00186, The Field Experiments Website.
- Mullahy, John, 1986. "Specification and testing of some modified count data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-365, December.
- Fox, John A. & Shogren, Jason F. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James B., 1995. "Chapter 06: EXPERIMENTAL AUCTIONS TO MEASURE WILLINGNESS TO PAY FOR FOOD SAFETY," Valuing Food Safety and Nutrition (1995), Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance, number 25986.
- Jayson Lusk & Ted Schroeder, 2004.
"Are choice experiments incentive compatible? A test with quality differentiated beef steaks,"
Artefactual Field Experiments
00096, The Field Experiments Website.
- Jayson L. Lusk & Ted C. Schroeder, 2004. "Are Choice Experiments Incentive Compatible? A Test with Quality Differentiated Beef Steaks," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 467-482.
- Drammeh, Lamin & House, Lisa & Sureshwaran, Suresh & Selassie, Haile, 2002. "Analysis Of Factors Influencing The Frequency Of Catfish Consumption In The United States," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19584, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Buzby, Jean C. & Fox, John A. & Ready, Richard C. & Crutchfield, Stephen R., 1998. "Measuring Consumer Benefits Of Food Safety Risk Reductions," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(01), July.
- van Ravenswaay, Eileen O. & Wohl, Jennifer, 1995. "Chapter 14: USING CONTINGENT VALUATION METHODS TO VALUE THE HEALTH RISKS FROM PESTICIDE RESIDUES WHEN RISKS ARE AMBIGUOUS," Valuing Food Safety and Nutrition (1995), Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance, number 25983.
- Dong, Diansheng & Chung, Chanjin & Kaiser, Harry M., 2001. "Panel Data Double-Hurdle Model: An Application To Dairy Advertising," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20502, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jason F. Shogren & John A. Fox, 1996. "Consumer Preferences for Fresh Food Items with Multiple Quality Attributes: Evidence from an Experimental Auction of Pork Chops," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 916-923.
- Leigh J. Maynard & Sharon T. Franklin, 2003. "Functional Foods as a Value-Added Strategy: The Commercial Potential of “Cancer-Fighting” Dairy Products," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 316-331.
- Dong, Diansheng & Gould, Brian W., 1999. "A Double-Hurdle Model Of Food Demand With Endogenous Unit Values," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21635, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521855167 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Burdine, Kenneth H. & Meyer, A. Lee, 2003. "Market Potential for Locally Produced Meat Products," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(02), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agecon:v:31:y:2004:i:2-3:p:317-325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.