Fiscal Policy Throughout The Business Cycle: The Colombian Experience
This paper reviews the close relationship between business cycle and public fi nances in Colombia. The international evidence shows that cyclical move-ments in output systematically affect the balance of public fi nances. Therefore, the assessment of cy-clical and structural components of the budget bal-ance becomes an important tool in the analysis of fi scal policy, because it may allow fi scal authorities to determine the extent to which the fi scal stance in a particular year refl ects their discretionary actions. Our fi ndings indicate that the cyclical component of the central government balance in Colombia has been fairly small in recent times (for about 10% of the overall defi cit). Governments are not usually neutral during the business cycle. Ideally, they ought to practice a countercyclical fi scal policy to moder-ate the magnitude of output fl uctuations. However, in emerging economies, countercyclical fi scal poli-cies are inhibited by domestic and external factors. Using a standard reduced form model closely con-nected to the government budget constraint, we fi nd that fi scal policy in Colombia has been procyclical over the last 45 years or so, with the primary sur-plus falling (and the defi cit rising) as a share of GDP by approximately 1/5th of a percentage point when the output gap increases by one percentage point.
Volume (Year): 25 (2007)
Issue (Month): 55 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- António Afonso, 2008.
"Ricardian fiscal regimes in the European Union,"
Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 313-334, July.
- António Afonso, 2005. "Ricardian Fiscal Regimes in the European Union," Working Papers Department of Economics 2005/18, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Afonso, António, 2005. "Ricardian fiscal regimes in the European Union," Working Paper Series 558, European Central Bank.
- Carolina Mejía Mantilla & Mauricio Cárdenas & Mauricio Olivera, 2006. "La economía política del proceso presupuestal en Colombia," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 002988, FEDESARROLLO.
- Olivier Blanchard & Roberto Perotti, 2002. "An Empirical Characterization of the Dynamic Effects of Changes in Government Spending and Taxes on Output," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1329-1368.
- Olivier Blanchard & Roberto Perotti, 1999. "An Empirical Characterization of the Dynamic Effects of Changes in Government Spending and Taxes on Output," NBER Working Papers 7269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- César Calderón & Roberto Duncan & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2004. "Institutions and Cyclical Properties of Macroeconomic Policies," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 285, Central Bank of Chile. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)