Rural Crime and Social Capital
This study explores rural U.S. crime patterns with a focus on social capital. We use a triangulation of three core theories of crime including social disorganization, anomie/strain, and rational choice theories to develop a formal theory and an empirical framework. The role of four unique measures of social capital is explored in understanding patterns of rural crime using nonmetropolitan U.S. county data. The empirical results generally support the theoretical predictions and conclude that rural communities that pursue economic growth and development must be prepared to address the resulting upward pressures on crime. The results on social capital and crime provide numerous policy insights for rural communities. Copyright (c) 2010 Copyright the Authors. Journal compilation (c) 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc..
Volume (Year): 41 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0017-4815|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0017-4815|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker, 1968.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169.
- Terance J. Rephann, 1999. "articles: Links between rural development and crime," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 78(4), pages 365-386.
- Morgan Kelly, 2000. "Inequality And Crime," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 530-539, November.
- Deller, Steven C. & Lledo, Victor, 2007. "Amenities and Rural Appalachia Economic Growth," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
- Jensen, Tomas & Deller, Steven, 2007. "Spatial Modeling of the Migration of Older People with a Focus on Amenities," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 37(3), pages 303-43.
- Berg, Mark T. & DeLisi, Matt, 2005. "Do career criminals exist in rural America?," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 317-325.
- Kennedy, Bruce P. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Prothrow-Stith, Deborah & Lochner, Kimberly & Gupta, Vanita, 1998. "Social capital, income inequality, and firearm violent crime," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 7-17, July.
- Rupasingha, Anil & Goetz, Stephan J., 2007. "Social and political forces as determinants of poverty: A spatial analysis," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 650-671, August.
- G�ran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Deller, Steven & Deller, Melissa, 2005. "Shifting Patterns in Wisconsin Crime Rates," Staff Paper Series 491, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Lochner, L., 1999. "Education, Work, and Crime: Theory and Evidence," RCER Working Papers 465, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ehrlich, Isaac, 1973. "Participation in Illegitimate Activities: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 521-65, May-June.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Rupasingha, Anil & Goetz, Stephan J. & Freshwater, David, 2006. "The production of social capital in US counties," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 83-101, February.
- Cebula, Richard & Kohn, Robert & Vedder, Richard, 1972. "Some Determinants of Interstate Migration of Blacks, 1965-1970," MPRA Paper 50065, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark Ferguson & Kamar Ali & M. Rose Olfert & Mark Partridge, 2007. "Voting with Their Feet: Jobs versus Amenities," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 77-110.
- Stephan J. Goetz & Anil Rupasingha, 2006. "Wal-Mart and Social Capital," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1304-1310.
- Alison Gill, 1991. "An evaluation of socially responsive planning in a new resource town," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 177-204, March.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1998.15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steven C. Deller & Tsung-Hsiu (Sue) Tsai & David W. Marcouiller & Donald B.K. English, 2001. "The Role of Amenities and Quality of Life In Rural Economic Growth," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 352-365.
- Chongwoo Choe & John Chisholm, 1998.
"Income Variables and the Measures of Gains from Crime,"
1998.15, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- John Chisholm & Chongwoo Choe, 2005. "Income variables and the measures of gains from crime," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 112-119, January.
- Lane, Julia & Glennon, Dennis & McCabe, James, 1989. "Measures of Local Business Climate: Alternative Approaches," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 19(1).
- Reisig, Michael D. & Cancino, Jeffrey Michael, 2004. "Incivilities in nonmetropolitan communities: The effects of structural constraints, social conditions, and crime," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 15-29.
- Belton M. Fleisher, 1963. "The Effect of Unemployment on Juvenile Delinquency," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 543.
- Robert Foster, 1977. "Economic and quality of life factors in industrial location decisions," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 247-265, January.
- Fajnzylber, Pablo & Lederman, Daniel & Loayza, Norman, 2002. "What causes violent crime?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(7), pages 1323-1357, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:growch:v:41:y:2010:i:2:p:221-275. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.