Measuring the Intensity of Competition in the Japanese Beef Market
A residual demand model for beef exports to Japan is specified and estimated. The objective is to estimate the extent of market power. It is assumed that each exporting country faces a downward-sloping residual demand curve, which reflects the market demand minus the supplies of competitors, and that exporters maximize profit through their output decisions. The analysis is disaggregated by beef cut and form to capture the variation by beef market segments. The results indicate that the highest markup of price over marginal cost belongs to U.S. frozen ribs, the only indication of market power by U.S. exporters. Canada is found to have limited market power, whereas Australia and New Zealand enjoy some market power, including five chilled beef categories.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," NBER Working Papers 5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glauben Thomas & Loy Jens-Peter, 2002. "Pricing-to-Market versus Residual Demand Elasticity Analysis of Imperfect Competition in Food Exports: Evidence from Germany," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-21, October.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Green, John R. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Khan, Linda & Kihl, Young Whan & Knipe, C. Lynn & Olson, Dennis & Ramaswami, Sridhar & Rust, Robert & Sapp, Stephen G. & Seim, Emerson L. & Wahl, Thomas I. & Clemen, 1990. "Meat Marketing in Japan: A Guide for U.S. Meat Exporting Companies," Staff General Research Papers Archive 539, Iowa State University, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)