Political Economy of the U.S. Cattle and Beef Industry: Innovation Adoption and Implications for the Future
Market innovation and investment are key elements contributing to the health and success of any industry. However, U.S. cattle and beef interests appear to be resisting some of the market innovations that are occurring in their industry. This includes resisting innovations designed to provide more information and transparency in the marketing chain, such as additional traceability provided by animal identification systems. This paper discusses how institutions supporting the U.S. cattle and beef industry may be failing the industry in terms of helping it adjust to new market conditions, including failing to help the industry foster market innovation. Recommendations are given relating to the first steps of government and the land-grant system can take to change research and extension agendas relating to the beef industry.
Volume (Year): 32 (2007)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sébastien Pouliot & Daniel A. Sumner, 2008.
"Traceability, Liability, and Incentives for Food Safety and Quality,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(1), pages 15-27.
- Pouliot, Sebastien & Sumner, Daniel A., 2006. "Traceability, Liability and Incentives for Food Safety and Quality," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21121, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pouliot, Sebastien & Sumner, Daniel A., 2010. "Traceability, Liability, and Incentives for Food Safety and Quality," Staff General Research Papers 32126, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Thor, Eric, III & Bailey, DeeVon & Silvac, Alejandro R. & Vickner, Steven S., 2007. "Economic Analysis of Incentives for Foreign Direct Investment in Beef Systems in Argentina and Uruguay," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 10(03).
- Dee Von Bailey & Eluned Jones & David L. Dickinson, 2002. "Knowledge Management and Comparative International Strategies on Vertical Information Flow in the Global Food System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1337-1344.
- Steiger, Carlos, 2006. "Modern Beef Production in Brazil and Argentina," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 21(2).
- Laurian J. Unnevehr, 2004. "Mad Cows and Bt Potatoes: Global Public Goods in the Food System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1159-1166.
- DeeVon Bailey & Jeremy Slade, 2004. "Factors Influencing Support for a National Animal Identification System for Cattle in the United States," Working Papers 2004-09, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Frode Alfnes & Kyrre Rickertsen, 2003. "European Consumers' Willingness to Pay for U.S. Beef in Experimental Auction Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 396-405.
- Frenzen, Paul D. & Buzby, Jean C. & Rasco, Barbara, 2001. "Product Liability And Microbial Foodborne Illness," Agricultural Economics Reports 34059, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Frode Alfnes, 2004. "Stated preferences for imported and hormone-treated beef: application of a mixed logit model," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(1), pages 19-37, March.
- Boland, Michael A. & Perez, Lautaro & Fox, John A., 2007. "Grass-Fed Certification: The Case of the Uruguayan Beef Industry," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 22(1).
- Brester, Gary W., 2006. "Research and Publishing: Relevance and Irreverence," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Bailey, DeeVon & Slade, Jeremy, 2004. "Factors Influencing Support For A National Animal Identification System In The United States," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20293, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:7079. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.