Internet Access and Internet Purchasing Patterns of Farm Households
The Internet is becoming an increasingly important management tool in production agriculture. Using data from the 2004 Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS) and a double-hurdle estimation approach, we explore the adoption of computers with Internet access by and Internet purchasing patterns of farm households. Adoption of the Internet is positively related to age and education of the operator, off-farm work, presence of spouse, participation in government programs, farm size, and regional location of the farm. Internet purchasing patterns of farm households are positively related to the education of the operator and spouse, presence of teenagers, and regional location of the farm. Finally, farm businesses and their households are more likely to purchase a greater percentage of non-durable goods through the Internet as distances to markets increase.
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ehmke, Cole & Ernst, Stanley C. & Hopkins, Jeffrey W. & Tweeten, Luther G., 2001. "The Market For E-Commerce Services In Agriculture," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20523, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- David Aristei & Luca Pieroni, 2007.
"A Double-Hurdle Approach to Modelling Tobacco Consumption in Italy,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
29/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- David Aristei & Luca Pieroni, 2008. "A double-hurdle approach to modelling tobacco consumption in Italy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(19), pages 2463-2476.
- Roberto Martinez Espineira, 2004.
"A Box-Cox double-hurdle model of wildlife valuation: the citizen’s perspective,"
- Martinez-Espineira, Roberto, 2006. "A Box-Cox Double-Hurdle model of wildlife valuation: The citizen's perspective," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 192-208, June.
- Jason Henderson & Frank Dooley & Jay Akridge, 2004. "Internet and E-Commerce Adoption by Agricultural Input Firms," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 505-520.
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
- Christopher F Baum, 2006. "An Introduction to Modern Econometrics using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number imeus, September.
- Blundell, Richard & Meghir, Costas, 1987. "Bivariate alternatives to the Tobit model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 179-200.
- Batte, Marvin T. & Ernst, Stanley C., 2007. "Net Gains from 'Net Purchases? Farmers' Preferences for Online and Local Input Purchases," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
- Allen McDowell, 2003. "From the help desk: hurdle models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 178-184, June.
- Su, Shew-Jiuan B & Yen, Steven T, 1996. "Microeconometric Models of Infrequently Purchased Goods: An Application to Household Pork Consumption," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 513-33.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, November.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra & François N. Ortalo-Magné, 2003. "What's Wrong with Our Models of Agricultural Land Values?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 744-752.
- Ram Shrestha & Janaki Alavalapati & Andrew Seidl & Karl Weber & Tri Suselo, 2007. "Estimating The Local Cost Of Protecting Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve, Nepal: A Contingent Valuation Approach," Environment, Development and Sustainability- A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 413-426, November.
- Amponsah, William A., 1995. "Computer Adoption and Use of Information Services by North Carolina Commercial Farmers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 565-576, December.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra, 2004. "Farming Efficiency and the Determinants of Multiple Job Holding by Farm Operators," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 722-729.
- Amponsah, William A., 1995. "Computer Adoption And Use Of Information Services By North Carolina Commercial Farmers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Park, Timothy A., 2005. "An Empirical Analysis of Internet Use by U.S. Farmers," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 34(2), October.
- Hoag, Dana L. & Ascough, James C. & Frasier, W. Marshall, 1999. "Farm Computer Adoption In The Great Plains," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(01), April.
- Jeremy Foltz & Kimberly Zeuli, 2005. "The Role of Community and Farm Characteristics in Farm Input Purchasing Patterns," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(4), pages 508-525.
- Gershon Feder & Roger Slade, 1984. "The Acquisition of Information and the Adoption of New Technology," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(3), pages 312-320.
- Hoag, Dana L. & Ascough, James C. & Frasier, W. Marshall, 1999. "Farm Computer Adoption in the Great Plains," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(01), pages 57-67, April.
- Batte, Marvin T., 2004. "Computer Adoption and Use by Ohio Farmers," Journal of the ASFMRA, American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:arerjl:55545. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.