Computer and Internet Use by Great Plains Farmers
We use data from a 2001 survey of Great Plains farmers to explore the adoption, usage patterns, and perceived benefits of computers and the Internet. Our adoption results suggest that exposure to the technology through college, outside employment, friends, and family is ultimately more influential than farmer age and farm size. Notably, about half of those who use the Internet for farm-related business report zero economic benefits from it. Whether a farmer perceives that the Internet generates economic benefits depends primarily on how long the farmer has used the Internet for farm business and for what purposes.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 530-752-1517|
Web page: http://www.agecon.ucdavis.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marvin T. Batte & Eugene Jones & Gary D. Schnitkey, 1990. "Computer Use by Ohio Commercial Farmers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(4), pages 935-945.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1987. "Regression-based specification tests for the multinomial logit model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 63-82.
- Dennis R. Henderson, 1984. "Electronic Marketing in Principle and Practice," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(5), pages 848-853.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Trajtenberg, M., 1995.
"General purpose technologies 'Engines of growth'?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 83-108, January.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Amponsah, William A., 1995. "Computer Adoption And Use Of Information Services By North Carolina Commercial Farmers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- McFadden, Daniel L., 1984. "Econometric analysis of qualitative response models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 24, pages 1395-1457 Elsevier.
- Gershon Feder & Roger Slade, 1984. "The Acquisition of Information and the Adoption of New Technology," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(3), pages 312-320.
- Hoag, Dana L. & Ascough, James C. & Frasier, W. Marshall, 1999. "Farm Computer Adoption In The Great Plains," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(01), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ucdavw:11947. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.