Internet Access and Use by Farm Households
The Internet is a strategic technology because it has found application across virtually all sectors of the economy. The Internet has become an everyday part of rural life and is an important new technology in U.S. agriculture. This study uses information collected through the 2004 Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS) to explore the adoption of computers with Internet access and Internet use by farm households. Results from this study suggest that adoption of computers with Internet access is positively related to age and educational level of the operator, off-farm business income, presence of a spouse, and regional location of the farm. Further, large farms and part-owner farms are more likely to adopt computers with Internet access. Internet use for the farm, household, or both is strongly related to the educational level of the operator and spouse, presence of teenagers in the household, farm size, and regional location of the farm.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huffman, Wallace E., 2001.
"Human Capital: Education and Agriculture,"
Staff General Research Papers
5327, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace E., 2001. "Human Capital, Education, and Agriculture," Staff General Research Papers 5329, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace, 2001. "Human Capital, Education, and Agriculture," Staff General Research Papers 10438, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hoag, Dana L. & Ascough, James C. & Frasier, W. Marshall, 1999. "Farm Computer Adoption In The Great Plains," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(01), April.
- Perry, Janet E. & Mishra, Ashok K., 1999. "Forward Contracting Of Inputs: A Farm-Level Analysis," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 17(2).
- Lazarus, William F. & Streeter, Deborah H. & Jofre-Giraudo, Eduardo, 1989. "Impact Of Management Information Systems On Dairy Farm Profitability," Staff Papers 14053, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Park, Timothy A., 2005. "An Empirical Analysis of Internet Use by U.S. Farmers," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 34(2), October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea06:21106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.