Volatility and regional growth in Europe: Does space matter?
This paper investigates the relationship between volatility and economic growth in the European regions over the period 1995-2008. To that end, we estimate a two way fi_x000C_xed e_x000B_ffects panel data model using spatial econometric techniques that allow us to incorporate into the analysis the relevance of spatial e_x000B_ffects in the processes of regional growth in Europe. The results show the existence of a positive and statistically signi_x000C_cant relationship between the fluctuations of the business cycle and regional growth, which is mainly consequence of the spatial spillovers induced by the incidence of volatility in neighbouring regions. This fi_x000C_nding is robust to the inclusion in the analysis of different explanatory variables that may a_x000B_ffect regional growth such as the initial GDP per capita, the level of investment or industry mix. Furthermore, the results of the paper do not depend on the specifi_x000C_c measure of volatility used, or the spatial weights matrix employed to capture the degree of spatial interdependence between the sample regions. The observed relationship suggests that traditional stabilization policies that attempt to reduce the fluctuations of the business cycle may be harmful for economic growth in the European regions.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Lung-fei & Yu, Jihai, 2010. "Estimation of spatial autoregressive panel data models with fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 165-185, February.
- Roberto Ezcurra, 2009. "Does Income Polarization Affect Economic Growth? The Case of the European Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(2), pages 267-285.
- BAUMONT, Catherine & ERTUR, Cem & LE GALLO, Julie, 2001. "A Spatial Econometric Analysis of Geographic Spillovers and Growth for European Regions, 1980-1995," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2001-04, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2008.
"Infrastructure endowment and investment as determinants of regional growth in the European Union,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
23323, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Crescenzi, Riccardo & Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 2008. "Infrastructure endowment and investment as determinants of regional growth in the European Union," EIB Papers 8/2008, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Partha Chatterjee & Malik Shukayev, 2006. "Are Average Growth Rate and Volatility Related?," Working Papers 06-24, Bank of Canada.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Siddharth Chandra, 2003. "Regional Economy Size and the Growth-Instability Frontier: Evidence from Europe," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 95-122.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Pedro Pascual & Manuel Rapun, 2006.
"Regional Specialization in the European Union,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(6), pages 601-616.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Carlos Gil & Manuel Rapún, 2004. "Regional Specialization In The European Union," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 0404, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Sergio J. Rey & Mark V. Janikas, 2005. "Regional convergence, inequality, and space," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 155-176, April.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Marion, Nancy P, 1993.
"Policy Uncertainty, Persistence and Growth,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 145-63, June.
- Bernanke, Ben S, 1983.
"Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Cyclical Investment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 98(1), pages 85-106, February.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1980. "Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Cyclical Investment," NBER Working Papers 0502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Luc Anselin, 2010. "Thirty years of spatial econometrics," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(1), pages 3-25, 03.
- Caporale, Tony & McKiernan, Barbara, 1996. "The Relationship between Output Variability and Growth: Evidence from Post War UK Data," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 43(2), pages 229-36, May.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1992.
"Productivity Growth and the Structure of the Business Cycle,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
709, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1993. "Productivity growth and the structure of the business cycle," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 861-883, May.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1992. "Productivity growth and the Structure of the Business Cycle," DELTA Working Papers 92-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Martin Falk & Franz Sinabell, 2009. "A spatial econometric analysis of the regional growth and volatility in Europe," Empirica, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 193-207, May.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & van Schaik, A.B.T.M., 2005.
"Differences in social capital between 54 western European regions,"
Other publications TiSEM
78302d91-740f-4f22-9fe6-7, School of Economics and Management.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Ton Van Schaik, 2005. "Differences in social capital between 54 Western European regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1053-1064.
- Mirman, Leonard J, 1971. "Uncertainty and Optimal Consumption Decisions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(1), pages 179-85, January.
- Dawson, John W. & Stephenson, E. Frank, 1997. "The link between volatility and growth: Evidence from the States," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 365-369, September.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufi, 2004.
"Education, Migration, and Job Ssatisfaction: the Regional Returns of Human Capital in the EU,"
Bruges European Economic Research Papers
1, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufí, 2005. "Education, migration, and job satisfaction: the regional returns of human capital in the EU," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(5), pages 545-566, October.
- Joseph Dejuan & Simon Gurr, 2004. "On the link between volatility and growth: evidence from Canadian Provinces," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 279-282.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen & Marjolein Cani�ls, 1997. "Technology, Growth and Unemployment across European Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 457-466.
- Riccardo Crescenzi, 2005. "Innovation and Regional Growth in the Enlarged Europe: The Role of Local Innovative Capabilities, Peripherality, and Education," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(4), pages 471-507.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa13p133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.