Effects of Regional Labour Markets on Migration Flows, by Education Level
European labour markets display large variations in unemployment rates across regions as well as between education groups. Insufficient labour force mobility is widely considered the main culprit behind regional unemployment disparities, but few studies have examined the link between interregional mobility and variation in unemployment rates across education groups. This paper employs administrative registers covering the entire Norwegian population to compute annual time series from 1994 to 2004 of migration flows and regional labour market conditions by educational level for 90 travel-to-work areas. We find that geographical disparities in unemployment rates are decreasing in education level, whereas the response of migration to fluctuations in regional unemployment rates is increasing in education level. Our results suggest that low regional mobility of low educated workers contributes to high unemployment disparities across regions and education groups as well as high overall unemployment.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fredrik Carlsen & K�re Johansen & Knut R�ed, 2006.
"Wage Formation, Regional Migration and Local Labour Market Tightness,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(4), pages 423-444, 08.
- Kåre Johansen & Fredrik Carlsen & Knut Røed, . "Wage Formation, Regional Migration and Local Labour Market Tightness," Working Paper Series 2903, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, revised 14 Feb 2003.
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 2006.
"Housing Market Dynamics and Regional Migration in Britain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5832, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Muellbauer & Anthony Murphy & John Muellbauer, 2006. "Housing Market Dynamics and Regional Migration in Britain," Economics Series Working Papers 275, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- S. Ederveen & R. Nahuis & A. Parikh, 2005.
"Labour Mobility and Regional Disparities: The Role of Female Labour Participation,"
05-31, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Sjef Ederveen & Richard Nahuis & Ashok Parikh, 2007. "Labour mobility and regional disparities: the role of female labour participation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 895-913, October.
- Antolin, Pablo & Bover, Olympia, 1997. "Regional Migration in Spain: The Effect of Personal Characteristics and of Unemployment, Wage and House Price Differentials Using Pooled Cross-Sections," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 215-35, May.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2004.
"Are Migrants More Skilled than Non-Migrants?: Repeat, Return and Same-Employer Migrants,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
422, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2004. "Are migrants more skilled than non-migrants? Repeat, return, and same-employer migrants," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(4), pages 830-849, November.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2004. "Are Migrants More Skilled than Non-Migrants? Repeat, Return and Same-Employer Migrants," NBER Working Papers 10633, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Machin & Panu Pelkonen & Kjell Salvanes, 2008.
"Education and mobility,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
28277, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Machin & Panu Pelkonen & Kjell Salvanes, 2008. "Education and Mobility," CEE Discussion Papers 0100, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Machin, Stephen & Pelkonen, Panu & Salvanes, Kjell G., 2008. "Education and Mobility," IZA Discussion Papers 3845, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marigee Bacolod & Bernardo S. Blum & William C. Strange, 2010. "Elements Of Skill: Traits, Intelligences, Education, And Agglomeration," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 245-280.
- Decressin, Jörg & Fatás, Antonio, 1994.
"Regional Labour Market Dynamics in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fredrik Carlsen & Jørn Rattsø & Bjørg Langset & Lasse Stambøl, 2006.
"Using survey data to study capitalization of local public services,"
Working Paper Series
8106, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Carlsen, Fredrik & Langset, Bjørg & Rattsø, Jørn & Stambøl, Lasse, 2009. "Using survey data to study capitalization of local public services," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 688-695, November.
- Pissarides, Christopher A & McMaster, Ian, 1990. "Regional Migration, Wages and Unemployment: Empirical Evidence and Implications for Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 812-31, October.
- Paul Gregg & Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 2004. "Mobility and Joblessness," NBER Chapters, in: Seeking a Premier Economy: The Economic Effects of British Economic Reforms, 1980-2000, pages 371-410 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Lupi, Claudio & Ordine, Patrizia, 2001. "Widening differences in Italian regional unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 103-129, January.
- Frank Windmeijer, 2000. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear two-step GMM estimators," IFS Working Papers W00/19, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jimeno, Juan F. & Bentolila, Samuel, 1998. "Regional unemployment persistence (Spain, 1976-1994)," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 25-51, March.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chiara Bentivogli & Patrizio Pagano, 1999. "Regional Disparities and Labour Mobility: the Euro-11 versus the USA," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 13(3), pages 737-760, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa10p693. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.