The Dynamics of Regional Labor Markets and Active Labor Market Policy: Swedish Evidence
This paper analyses the repercussions of region-specific shocks to labor demand. Active labor market programs have been targeted at high unemployment regions in Sweden, a fact that should influence the regional adjustment process. Fears have been expressed that some of the programs may have adverse effects on adjustment by, for instance, locking-in displaced workers in depressed regions. The empirical results indicate that Swedish regional adjustment has been comparatively rapid; labor mobility in response to shocks, for instance, appears to be high by European standards. On the whole, labor market programs do not seem to have impeded regional adjustment substantially. Copyright 1999 by Royal Economic Society.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 51 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ohlsson, Henry, 1992.
"Job creation measures as activist fiscal policy -- an empirical analysis of policy reaction behavior,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 269-280, May.
- Ohlsson, H., 1990. "Job Creation Measures As Activist Fiscal Policy: An Empirical Analysis Of Policy Reaction Behavior," Papers 1990d, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders, 1991. "Real-Wage Determination and Labour Market Policies: The Swedish Experience," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(408), pages 1130-48, September.
- Pissarides, Christopher A & McMaster, Ian, 1990. "Regional Migration, Wages and Unemployment: Empirical Evidence and Implications for Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 812-31, October.
- Anders Forslund & Alan B. Krueger, 1997.
"An Evaluation of the Swedish Active Labor Market Policy: New and Received Wisdom,"
in: The Welfare State in Transition: Reforming the Swedish Model, pages 267-298
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anders Forslund & Alan B. Krueger, 1994. "An Evaluation of the Swedish Active Labor Market Policy: New and Received Wisdom," NBER Working Papers 4802, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geweke, John, 1988. "Antithetic acceleration of Monte Carlo integration in Bayesian inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 73-89.
- DaVanzo, Julie, 1978. "Does Unemployment Affect Migration?-Evidence from Micro Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(4), pages 504-14, November.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:oxecpp:v:51:y:1999:i:4:p:623-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.