Information Technology, Organizational Form, and Transition to the Market
The paper reviews theories of information technology adoption and organizational form and applies them to an empirical analysis of firm choices and characteristics in four transition economies: the Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, and Slovakia. We argue that these economies have gone through two major structural changes-one concerning new technology and another concerning ownership and boundaries of firms-and we consider if and how each one of the two structural changes has affected the other. We test the impact of firm size, integration, and ownership on the extent of new information technology adoption (measured by growth in the fraction of employees using personal computers or computer-controlled machinery), and the impact of information technology on changes in the boundaries and the ownership structure of enterprises, drawing upon a sample survey of 330 firms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 300 S. Westnedge Ave. Kalamazoo, MI 49007 USA|
Web page: http://www.upjohn.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Delmastro, Marco, 1999. "Some stylized facts on organization and its evolution," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 255-274, November.
- Fabrizio Barca & Katsuhito Iwai & Ugo Pagano & Sandro Trento, 1999. "Post-War Institutional Shocks: The Divergence of Italian and Japanese Corporate Governance Models," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp117, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ugo Pagano, 1999. "The Origin of Organizational Species," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp118, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alan B. Krueger, 1993.
"How Computers Have Changed the Wage Structure: Evidence from Microdata, 1984–1989,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(1), pages 33-60.
- Alan B. Krueger, 1991. "How Computers Have Changed the Wage Structure: Evidence From Microdata, 1984-1989," NBER Working Papers 3858, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George P. Baker & Thomas N. Hubbard, 2002. "Make Versus Buy in Trucking: Asset Ownership, Job Design and Information," NBER Working Papers 8727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1995.
"Natural and Quasi-experiments in Economics,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(2), pages 151-61, April.
- Fabrizio Barca & Katsuhito Iwai & Ugo Pagano & Sandro Trento, 1998. "The Divergence of the Italian and Japanese Corporate Governance Models: The Role of Institutional Shocks," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-32, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817, December.
- Pagano, Ugo & Rowthorn, Robert, 1994. "Ownership, technology and institutional stability," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 221-242, December.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766, December.
- Erik Brynjolfsson, 1994. "Information Assets, Technology and Organization," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(12), pages 1645-1662, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upj:weupjo:02-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.