Changes in Job Tenure and Job Stability in Canada
Using monthly data from the Canadian Labour Force Survey the author investigates changes in the complete lengths of new job spells from 1981 through 1994. While the average complete length of new jobs did not increase or decrease over the period, changes in the distribution of complete job lengths suggest that there is an increase in the proportion of short-term jobs and a decrease in the proportion of medium term jobs created over the period. The proportion of long-term jobs remained unchanged. This pattern of change was found among all virtually all demographic subgroups examined suggesting that an economy wide (rather than a sectoral or demographic) explanation must be sought.
|Date of creation:||07 Nov 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.statcan.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Hall, 1984.
"The Importance of Lifetime Jobs in the U.S. Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
0560, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1982. "The Importance of Lifetime Jobs in the U.S. Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(4), pages 716-24, September.
- Heisz, Andrew & Corak, Miles, 1995.
"Alternative Measures of the Average Duration of Unemployment,"
Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
1995083e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Corak, Miles & Heisz, Andrew, 1996. "Alternative Measures of the Average Duration of Unemployment," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(1), pages 63-74, March.
- Francis X. Diebold & David Neumark & Daniel Polsky, 1994.
"Job Stability in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
4859, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baker, Michael, 1992. "Unemployment Duration: Compositional Effects and Cyclical Variability," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 313-21, March.
- Ureta, Manuelita, 1992. "The Importance of Lifetime Jobs in the U.S. Economy, Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 322-35, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stc:stcp3e:1996095e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.