The reallocation of labour: an international comparison using job tenure
This paper sets out the issues surrounding the optimal amount of job reallocation. The key factors are the trainability of the workforce, the volatility of demand and the cost of contract termination. The paper uses an international dataset to characterise the nature of labour reallocation and to isolate the effect of country-specific factors. We investigate the extent to which these country differences can be explained by the trainability of the workforce and employment protection legislation. We find that both of these have a significant role to play in affecting the reallocation of labour. In addition, we show that the impact of the country-specific factors varies dramatically by age and industry: much larger differences are found among older workers than younger ones, and in retail trade than in manufacturing.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henry S. Farber, 1995. "Are Lifetime Jobs Disappearing? Job Duration in the United States: 1973-1993," NBER Working Papers 5014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis X. Diebold & David Neumark & Daniel Polsky, 1994.
"Job Stability in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
4859, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E., 1979.
"A theory of the natural unemployment rate and the duration of employment,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 153-169, April.
- Robert E. Hall, 1978. "A Theory of the Natural Unemployment Rate and the Duration of Employment," NBER Working Papers 0251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Job security, employment and wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 851-879, June.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:105:y:1990:i:3:p:699-726 is not listed on IDEAS
- Emerson, Michael, 1988. "Regulation or deregulation of the labour market : Policy regimes for the recruitment and dismissal of employees in the industrialised countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 775-817, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:20232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.