An Analysis of Unemployment Incidence and Duration: Some New Evidence from Canada
This paper studies the incidence and duration of unemployment in Canada at an aggregate and a number of disaggregated levels with data from the Canadian Labour Force Survey covering 1976 to 2006. The principal empirical findings indicate that most of the changes in steady state unemployment rates during the study period can be attributed to changes in incidence rather than changes in expected duration.
|Date of creation:||02 Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:||02 Feb 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.clsrn.econ.ubc.ca/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abbring, Jaap H & van den Berg, Gerard J & van Ours, Jan C, 1997.
"Business Cycles and Compositional Variation in US Unemployment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1702, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Abbring, Jaap H & van den Berg, Gerard J & van Ours, Jan C, 2001. "Business Cycles and Compositional Variation in U.S. Unemployment," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 436-48, October.
- Abbring, J.H. & van den Berg, G. & van Ours, J.C., 1999. "Business Cycles and Compositional Variation in U.S. Unemployment," Discussion Paper 1999-65, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg & Jan C. van Ours, 1997. "Business Cycles and Compositional Variation in U.S. Unemployment," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 97-050/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Baker, Michael, 1992. "Digit preference in CPS unemployment data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 117-121, May.
- Abbring, J.H. & Berg, G.J. & Ours, J.C., 1994.
"The anatomy of unemployment dynamics,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0024, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Abbring, J.H. & van den Berg, G. & van Ours, J.C., 1999. "The Anatomy of Unemployment Dynamics," Discussion Paper 1999-81, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Abbring, J.H. & van den Berg, G. & van Ours, J.C., 2002. "The anatomy of unemployment dynamics," Other publications TiSEM 539d10a7-be00-4a8e-9c9c-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Abbring, Jaap H & van den Berg, Gerard J & van Ours, Jan C, 1995. "The Anatomy of Unemployment Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 1202, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Card & W. Craig Riddell, 1993. "A Comparative Analysis of Unemployment in Canada and the United States," NBER Chapters, in: Small Differences That Matter: Labor Markets and Income Maintenance in Canada and the United States, pages 149-190 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michele Campolieti, 2000. "Bayesian Estimation and Smoothing of the Baseline Hazard in Discrete Time Duration Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 685-694, November.
- Miles Corak, 1996. "Measuring the Duration of Unemployment Spells," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 43-49, April.
- Heisz, Andrew & Corak, Miles, 1995.
"Alternative Measures of the Average Duration of Unemployment,"
Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
1995083e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Corak, Miles & Heisz, Andrew, 1996. "Alternative Measures of the Average Duration of Unemployment," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(1), pages 63-74, March.
- Michael Baker & Miles Corak & Andrew Heisz, 1998. "The Labour Market Dynamics of Unemployment Rates in Canada and the United States," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(s1), pages 72-89, February.
- W. Craig Riddell, 2005. "Why Is Canada's Unemployment Rate Persistently Higher than in the United States?," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 31(1), pages 93-100, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubc:clssrn:clsrn_admin-2009-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vivian Tran)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.