What shapes local public transportation in Europe? Economics, Mobility, Institutions, and Geography
This paper analyzes the factors that explain supply and demand of local public transportation. Together with variables related to economics and mobility, we consider variables reflecting institutional characteristics and geographical patterns. Being a political capital increases supply and demand of local public transportation, inequality is associated with higher supply, and contracting out reduces supply. Furthermore, our regional analysis allows us capturing the effect of geographical characteristics and different traditions of government intervention. In all, we provide first evidence on the role played by institutional and regional characteristics useful to achieve a better understanding of local public transportation supply and demand.
|Date of creation:||03 Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio García-Ferrer & Marcos Bujosa & Aránzazu de Juan & Pilar Poncela, 2006. "Demand Forecast and Elasticities Estimation of Public Transport," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 40(1), pages 45-67, January.
- Mehdi Farsi & Aurelio Fetz & Massimo Filippini, 2006.
"Economies of scale and scope in local public transportation,"
CEPE Working paper series
06-48, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Aurelio Fetz & Massimo Filippini, 2007. "Economies of Scale and Scope in Local Public Transportation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 41(3), pages 345-361, September.
- Peran van Reeven, 2008. "Subsidisation of Urban Public Transport and the Mohring Effect," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 42(2), pages 349-359, May.
- Carla Marchese, 2006. "The economic rationale for integrated tariffs in local public transport," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 875-885, December.
- Button, Kenneth, 2006. "The political economy of parking charges in "first" and "second-best" worlds," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 470-478, November.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981.
"Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses: Some Further Results,"
430, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert & Davidson, Russell, 1983. "Tests for model specification in the presence of alternative hypotheses : Some further results," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 53-70, January.
- Enrique Fernández L., J. & de Cea Ch., Joaquin & Malbran, R. Henry, 2008. "Demand responsive urban public transport system design: Methodology and application," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 951-972, August.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Harris SELOD, 2006.
"The political economy of urban transport-system choice,"
10220, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Selod, Harris, 2006. "The political economy of urban transport-system choice," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 983-1005, August.
- Brueckner, Jan & Selod, Harris, 2004. "The Political Economy of Urban Transport System Choice," CEPR Discussion Papers 4682, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans Kremers & Peter Nijkamp & Piet Rietveld, 2000.
"A Meta-Analysis of Price Elasticities of Transport Demand in a General Equilibrium Framework,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-060/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kremers, Hans & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2002. "A meta-analysis of price elasticities of transport demand in a general equilibrium framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 463-485, May.
- Bresson, Georges & Dargay, Joyce & Madre, Jean-Loup & Pirotte, Alain, 2004. "Economic and structural determinants of the demand for public transport: an analysis on a panel of French urban areas using shrinkage estimators," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 269-285, May.
- D Banister & S Watson & C Wood, 1997. "Sustainable cities: transport, energy, and urban form," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(1), pages 125-143, January.
- Javier Asensio, 2002. "Transport Mode Choice by Commuters to Barcelona's CBD," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 39(10), pages 1881-1895, September.
- Joyce M. Dargay & Mark Hanly, 2002. "The Demand for Local Bus Services in England," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 36(1), pages 73-91, January.
- Anna Matas, 2003. "Demand and revenue implications of an integrated public transport policy. The case of," Working Papers wpdea0304, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Fernández L., J. Enrique & de Cea Ch., Joaquin & de Grange C., Louis, 2005. "Production costs, congestion, scope and scale economies in urban bus transportation corridors," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 383-403, June.
- Sasaki, Komei, 1990. "Income class, modal choice, and urban spatial structure," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 322-343, May.
- William Roy & Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2007. "Ownership, Contractual Practices and Technical Efficiency: The Case of Urban Public Transport in France," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 41(2), pages 257-282, May.
- Paulley, Neil & Balcombe, Richard & Mackett, Roger & Titheridge, Helena & Preston, John & Wardman, Mark & Shires, Jeremy & White, Peter, 2006. "The demand for public transport: The effects of fares, quality of service, income and car ownership," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 295-306, July.
- Sungyop Kim & Gudmundur Ulfarsson, 2008. "Curbing automobile use for sustainable transportation: analysis of mode choice on short home-based trips," Transportation, Springer, vol. 35(6), pages 723-737, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsc:rsceui:2009/34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.