The Evidence Base for Environmental and Socioeconomic Impacts of “Sustainable” Certification
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Blackman, Allen & Rivera, Jorge, 2010. "The Evidence Base for Environmental and Socioeconomic Impacts of “Sustainable” Certification," Discussion Papers dp-10-17, Resources For the Future.
References listed on IDEAS
- Fort, Ricardo & Ruben, Ruerd, 2009. "The impact of Fair Trade on banana producers in northern Peru," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50964, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Valkila, Joni, 2009. "Fair Trade organic coffee production in Nicaragua -- Sustainable development or a poverty trap?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(12), pages 3018-3025, October.
- Blackman, Allen & Naranjo, Maria A., 2012.
"Does eco-certification have environmental benefits? Organic coffee in Costa Rica,"
Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 58-66.
- Blackman, Allen & Naranjo, Maria A., 2010. "Does Eco-Certification Have Environmental Benefits? Organic Coffee in Costa Rica," Discussion Papers dp-10-58, Resources For the Future.
- Blackman, Allen & Naranjo, Maria A., 2010. "Does Eco-Certification Have Environmental Benefits? Organic Coffee in Costa Rica," Discussion Papers dp-10-25-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Gardiner, P.R. & Viswanathan, K.K., 2004. "Ecolabelling and fisheries management," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 15969, July.
- Giovannucci, Daniele & Ponte, Stefano, 2005. "Standards as a new form of social contract? Sustainability initiatives in the coffee industry," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 284-301, June.
- Nebel, Gustav & Quevedo, Lincoln & Bredahl Jacobsen, Jette & Helles, Finn, 2005. "Development and economic significance of forest certification: the case of FSC in Bolivia," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 175-186, February.
- Nilsson, Tomas K.H. & Foster, Kenneth A., 2004. "Product And Process Certification In Imperfectly Competitive Markets," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19933, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Owari, Toshiaki & Juslin, Heikki & Rummukainen, Arto & Yoshimura, Tetsuhiko, 2006. "Strategies, functions and benefits of forest certification in wood products marketing: Perspectives of Finnish suppliers," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 380-391, December.
- Greenstone, Michael & Gayer, Ted, 2009.
"Quasi-experimental and experimental approaches to environmental economics,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 21-44, January.
- Michael Greenstone & Ted Gayer, 2007. "Quasi-Experimental and Experimental Approaches to Environmental Economics," Working Papers 0713, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Costantino, Marco, 2008. "The Effects of Fair Trade on Affiliated Producers: An Impact Analysis on Kenyan Farmers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 823-842, May.
- Frondel, Manuel & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2005.
"Evaluating environmental programs: The perspective of modern evaluation research,"
Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 515-526, December.
- Frondel, Manuel & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2001. "Evaluating Environmental Programs: The Perspective of Modern Evaluation Research," IZA Discussion Papers 397, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Frondel, Manuel & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2001. "Evaluating environmental programs: the perspective of modern evaluation research," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-59, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Muradian, Roldan & Pelupessy, Wim, 2005. "Governing the coffee chain: The role of voluntary regulatory Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2029-2044, December.
- Bolwig, Simon & Gibbon, Peter & Jones, Sam, 2009. "The Economics of Smallholder Organic Contract Farming in Tropical Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1094-1104, June.
- Gulbrandsen, Lars H., 2009. "The emergence and effectiveness of the Marine Stewardship Council," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 654-660, July.
- Hicks, Robert L. & Schnier, Kurt E., 2008. "Eco-labeling and dolphin avoidance: A dynamic model of tuna fishing in the Eastern Tropical Pacific," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 103-116, September.
- Laura T. Raynolds & Douglas Murray & Peter Leigh Taylor, 2004. "Fair trade coffee: building producer capacity via global networks," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(8), pages 1109-1121.
- Arnould, Eric & Plastina, Alejandro & Ball, Dwayne, 2009. "Does Fair Trade Deliver on Its Core Value Proposition? Effects on Income, Educational Attainment, and Health in Three Countries," Staff General Research Papers Archive 39169, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gobbi, Jose A., 2000. "Is biodiversity-friendly coffee financially viable? An analysis of five different coffee production systems in western El Salvador," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 267-281, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Victoria A. Maguire-Rajpaul & Vinesh M. Rajpaul & Constance L. McDermott & Luís Fernando Guedes Pinto, 2020. "Coffee certification in Brazil: compliance with social standards and its implications for social equity," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 2015-2044, March.
- Podhorsky, Andrea, 2015. "A positive analysis of Fairtrade certification," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 169-185.
- Sylvaine Lemeilleur & Gilles Allaire, 2016.
"Standardisation and guarantee systems: what can participatory certification offer?,"
- Lemeilleur, Sylvaine & Allaire, Gilles, 2016. "Standardisation and guarantee systems: what can participatory certification offer?," Working Papers MOISA 250275, Institut National de la recherchÃ© Agronomique (INRA), UMR MOISA : Marchés, Organisations, Institutions et Stratégies d'Acteurs : CIHEAM-IAMM, CIRAD, INRA, Montpellier SupAgro, Montpellier, France.
- Lemeilleur, S. & Allaire, G., 2016. "Standardisation and guarantee systems: what can participatory certification offer?," Working Papers MOISA 201605, UMR MOISA : Marchés, Organisations, Institutions et Stratégies d'Acteurs : CIHEAM-IAMM, CIRAD, INRA, Montpellier SupAgro - Montpellier, France.
- Surender Kumar & Shivananda Shetty, 2018. "Does environmental performance improve market valuation of the firm: evidence from Indian market," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Springer;Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 20(2), pages 241-260, April.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Schilizzi, Steven G.M., 2015.
"Quality signaling through certification in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 105-121.
- Emmanuelle AURIOL, 2017. "Quality Signaling through Certification in Developing Countries," Working Paper b21cacf2-ee84-452f-9e9f-0, Agence française de développement.
- Ngougheme, Rene & Kamdem, Cyrille Bergaly & Jagoret, Patrick & Havard, Michel, 2016. "Impact de la certification sur les performances agro-economiques des producteurs de cacao du centre Cameroun," 2016 Fifth International Conference, September 23-26, 2016, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 249294, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Millard, Edward, 2017. "Still brewing: Fostering sustainable coffee production," World Development Perspectives, Elsevier, vol. 7, pages 32-42.
- Foran, Tira & Butler, James R.A. & Williams, Liana J. & Wanjura, Wolf J. & Hall, Andy & Carter, Lucy & Carberry, Peter S., 2014. "Taking Complexity in Food Systems Seriously: An Interdisciplinary Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 85-101.
- Hidayat, Kurniawati Nia & Glasbergen, Pieter & Offermans, Astrid, 2015. "Sustainability Certification and Palm Oil Smallholders’ Livelihood: A Comparison between Scheme Smallholders and Independent Smallholders in Indonesia," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association, vol. 18(3), pages 1-24, September.
- van Rijsbergen, Bart & Elbers, Willem & Ruben, Ruerd & Njuguna, Samuel N., 2016. "The Ambivalent Impact of Coffee Certification on Farmers’ Welfare: A Matched Panel Approach for Cooperatives in Central Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 277-292.
- Kleemann, Linda & Abdulai, Awudu & Buss, Mareike, 2014. "Certification and Access to Export Markets: Adoption and Return on Investment of Organic-Certified Pineapple Farming in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 79-92.
- Oya, Carlos & Schaefer, Florian & Skalidou, Dafni, 2018. "The effectiveness of agricultural certification in developing countries: A systematic review," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 112(C), pages 282-312.
- Dankevych, Y. & Dankevych, V. & Chaikin, O., 2016. "Ecologically certified agricultural production management system development," Agricultural and Resource Economics: International Scientific E-Journal, Agricultural and Resource Economics: International Scientific E-Journal, vol. 2(4), December.
More about this item
Keywordssustainable; certification; eco-label; literature review;
- Q2 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-06-18 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2010-06-18 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-PPM-2010-06-18 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-RES-2010-06-18 (Resource Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2010-06-18 (Tourism Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rff:dpaper:dp-10-10-efd. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/degraus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.