Globalisation and cointegration among the states and convergence across the continents: a panel data analysis
This paper tried to examine the level of cointegration among various nations across the continents in regard to the globalisation. Also here attempt is made to analyse the nature of inter and intra continental variation in globalisation over time. The proximity and convergence over time in terms of the growth of globalisation is also examined by using a panel data set over a period of 1970 to 2007. The outcome reveals the presence of co-integration among the selected nations despite the fact that the European nations are more co-integrated than the other continents. It is followed by the countries in Africa and Asia. The proximity matrices of overall globalisation and political globalisation provided some important indications that geographical proximity, economic necessities, cultural and political understanding play crucial role in determining the clusters of countries in terms of globalisation or choice of the countries to open with other nations for trade, cultural exchange etc.
|Date of creation:||30 May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Werner Antweiler & Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 1998.
"Is Free Trade Good for the Environment?,"
NBER Working Papers
6707, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Axel Dreher, 2005.
"Does Globalization Affect Growth? Evidence from a new Index of Globalization,"
TWI Research Paper Series
6, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universitï¿½t Konstanz.
- Axel Dreher, 2006. "Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1091-1110.
- Utpal Kumar De & Manoranjan Pal, 2011. "Dimension of Globalization And Their Effects On Economic Growth," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 1(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 1997.
"The Behaviour of Real Exchange Rates During the Post-Bretton Woods Period,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Sarno, Lucio, 1998. "The behavior of real exchange rates during the post-Bretton Woods period," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-312, December.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bernard, A.B. & Durlauf, S.N., 1994.
"Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis,"
9401r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Choi, In & Chul Ahn, Byung, 1998. "Testing the null of stationarity for multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 41-77, November.
- Amavilah, Voxi Heinrich, 2009. "National identity, globalization, and the well-being of nations," MPRA Paper 14948, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995.
"The classical approach to convergence analysis,"
Economics Working Papers
117, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- James Heintz, 2006. "Globalization, Economic policy and Employment: Poverty and Gender Implications," Published Studies heintz_gender, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Cole, Matthew A., 2004. "Trade, the pollution haven hypothesis and the environmental Kuznets curve: examining the linkages," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 71-81, January.
- Effland, Anne & Roberts, Donna & Normile, Mary Anne & Wainio, John, 2008. "World Trade Organization and Globalization Help Facilitate Growth in Agricultural Trade," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, June.
- Amavilah, Voxi Heinrich, 2009. "National symbols, globalization, and the well-being of nations," MPRA Paper 14882, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:6166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.