National symbols, globalization, and the well-being of nations
I estimate the effects of national symbols and globalization on the well-being of 88 countries. I find that conventional determinants of production affect national well-being, measured as human development index (HDI). The effects on HDI of national symbols like national flag colors are unstable, while those of globalization are strong, with social globalization having the strongest effect. The results suggest that national symbols are important to national well-being, but nations gain more from global interactions with other nations than from national pride. Even as there is a need for further research to improve upon the results associated with the effects of national symbols, the policy implications of the findings clearly recommend increased investment in material conditions of nations and globalization.
|Date of creation:||11 Mar 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amavilah, Voxi Heinrich, 2008. "National flags, national flag colors, and the well-being of countries," MPRA Paper 11304, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Srijit Mishra & Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan, 2008.
"On A Class of Human Development Index Measures,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22340, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Srijit Mishra & Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan, 2008. "On a Class of human development index measures," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2008-020, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Clark, David & McGillivray, Mark, 2007. "Measuring Human Well-being: Key Findings and Policy Lessons," WIDER Working Papers UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Axel Dreher, 2002. "Does Globalization Affect Growth?," Development and Comp Systems 0210004, EconWPA, revised 04 Feb 2003.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14882. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.