National identity, globalization, and the well-being of nations
Using a simple production function approach I show that conventional factors and forces of production, national identity, and globalization are important to national well-being, but in varying ways. Whereas investment in capital and globalization, especially social globalization, affect national well-being strongly, national well-being is inelastic to all three measures of national identity. A reasonable conclusion is that nations gain more from interactions with other nations than from national isolation.
|Date of creation:||25 Apr 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini, 2004. "Constitutions and Economic Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 75-98, Winter.
- Axel Dreher, 2002. "Does Globalization Affect Growth?," Development and Comp Systems 0210004, EconWPA, revised 04 Feb 2003.
- Srijit Mishra & Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan, 2008.
"On A Class of Human Development Index Measures,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22340, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Srijit Mishra & Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan, 2008. "On a Class of human development index measures," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2008-020, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Amavilah, Voxi Heinrich, 2009. "National symbols, globalization, and the well-being of nations," MPRA Paper 14882, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sudhir Anand and Amartya Sen, 1994. "Human development Index: Methodology and Measurement," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-1994-02, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Clark, David & McGillivray, Mark, 2007. "Measuring Human Well-being: Key Findings and Policy Lessons," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Cordeiro, Jose Luis, 2008. "Constitutions around the world : A View from Latin America," IDE Discussion Papers 164, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)