Economic Shocks in the Fisheries Sector and Maritime Piracy
For a panel of 109 coastal countries we show that negative economic shocks in the fisheries sector are associated with an increase in maritime piracy. Our identification strategy uses the variation in the phytoplankton abundance off the individual countries' coasts, measured by satellite data, as a source of such shocks. We find that plankton abundance is positively related to fish catches but negatively associated with the incidence of piracy, onset and the absolute number of pirate attacks. Our instrumental variable estimates indicate that a one percent increase in fish catches reduces the risk of piracy occurring by one percentage point.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Franco Malerba & Richard R. Nelson, 2012. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Economic Development as a Learning Process, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2004. "Testing Subsets of Structural Parameters in the Instrumental Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 418-423, February.
- Bensassi, Sami & Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada, 2010.
"How Costly is Modern Maritime Piracy for the International Community?,"
27134, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sami Bensassi & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso, 2012. "How Costly is Modern Maritime Piracy to the International Community?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(5), pages 869-883, November.
- Sami Bensassi & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso, 2011. "How Costly is Modern Maritime Piracy for the International Community?," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 208, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Bridget L Coggins, 2012. "Global patterns of maritime piracy, 2000â€“09," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 49(4), pages 605-617, July.
- Vincent Bignon & Eve Caroli & Roberto Galbiati, 2015.
"Stealing to Survive? Crime and Income Shock in 19th Century France,"
- Vincent Bignon & Eve Caroli & Roberto Galbiati, 2011. "Stealing to Survive: Crime and Income Shocks in 19th Century France," PSE Working Papers halshs-00623804, HAL.
- Vincent Bignon & Eve Caroli & Roberto Galbiati, 2013. "Stealing to Survive: Crime and Income Shock in 19th century France," Post-Print hal-01411747, HAL.
- Bignon, Vincent & Caroli, Eve & Galbiati, Roberto, 2014. "Stealing to Survive? Crime and Income Shocks in 19th Century France," IZA Discussion Papers 8531, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bignon, Vincent & Caroli, Eve & Galbiati, Roberto, 2011. "Stealing to Survive: Crime and Income Shocks in 19th Century France," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1111, CEPREMAP, revised Feb 2013.
- Tim Besley & Thiemo Fetzer & Hannes Mueller, 2012.
"One Kind of Lawlessness: Estimating the Welfare Cost of Somali Piracy,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
898.12, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Timothy Besley & Thiemo Fetzer & Hannes Mueller, 2012. "One Kind of Lawlessness: Estimating the Welfare Cost of Somali Piracy," Working Papers 626, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Edward Miguel & Shanker Satyanath & Ernest Sergenti, 2004. "Economic Shocks and Civil Conflict: An Instrumental Variables Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(4), pages 725-753, August.
- Collier, Paul & Hoeffler, Anke & Soderbom, Mans, 2001.
"On the duration of civil war,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2681, The World Bank.
- Vernon Henderson & Adam Storeygard & David N. Weil, 2009.
"Measuring Economic Growth from Outer Space,"
2009-8, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Lakshmi Iyer & Petia Topalova, 2014. "Poverty and Crime: Evidence from Rainfall and Trade Shocks in India," Harvard Business School Working Papers 14-067, Harvard Business School, revised Aug 2014.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & James H. Stock, 2005.
"Inference with Weak Instruments,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Arena & Agnès Festré & Nathalie Lazaric, 2012. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-01053657, HAL.
- Ryan S. Jablonski & Steven Oliver, 2013. "The political economy of plunder: economic opportunity and modern piracy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 50451, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Conley, T. G., 1999. "GMM estimation with cross sectional dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 1-45, September.
- Markus Brückner & Antonio Ciccone, 2011.
"Rain and the Democratic Window of Opportunity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 79(3), pages 923-947, 05.
- Brückner, Markus & Ciccone, Antonio, 2008. "Rain and the Democratic Window of Opportunity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6691, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markus Brückner & Antonio Ciccone, 2009. "Rain and the Democratic Window of Opportunity," Working Papers 2009-38, FEDEA.
- Markus Brückner, 2010. "Rain and the Democratic Window of Opportunity," 2010 Meeting Papers 224, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Markus Bruckner & Antonio Ciccone, 2010. "Rain and the Democratic Window of Opportunity," Working Papers 1010, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Markus Brückner & Antonio Ciccone, 2008. "Rain and the democratic window of opportunity," Economics Working Papers 1114, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2009.
- Eric D. Gould & Bruce A. Weinberg & David B. Mustard, 2002. "Crime Rates And Local Labor Market Opportunities In The United States: 1979-1997," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 45-61, February.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, December.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, December.
- Gary S. Becker, 1968.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169-169.
- Richard Arena & Agnès Festré & Nathalie Lazaric, 2012. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Knowledge and Economics, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Hodler, Roland & Raschky, Paul A., 2014.
"Economic shocks and civil conflict at the regional level,"
Elsevier, vol. 124(3), pages 530-533.
- Roland Hodler & Paul A. Raschky, 2014. "Economic Shocks and Civil Conflict at the Regional Level," Monash Economics Working Papers 27-14, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-954, July.
- Oeindrila Dube, Omar Garcia-Ponce, and Kevin Thom, 2014. "From Maize to Haze: Agricultural Shocks and the Growth of the Mexican Drug Sector - Working Paper 355," Working Papers 355, Center for Global Development.
- Elizabeth H. Petersen, 2006. "Institutional Economics and Fisheries Management," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3377.
- Patrik Guggenberger & Frank Kleibergen & Sophocles Mavroeidis & Linchun Chen, 2012. "On the Asymptotic Sizes of Subset Anderson–Rubin and Lagrange Multiplier Tests in Linear Instrumental Variables Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(6), pages 2649-2666, November.
- Garibaldi, Luca, 2012. "The FAO global capture production database: A six-decade effort to catch the trend," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 760-768.
- Oeindrila Dube & Juan F. Vargas, 2013. "Commodity Price Shocks and Civil Conflict: Evidence from Colombia," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 80(4), pages 1384-1421.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:56959. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.