Financial Development, International Trade and Economic Growth in Australia:New Evidence from Multivariate Framework Analysis
This study investigates the relationship between financial development, international trade and economic growth in case of Australia over the period of 1965-2010. The ARDL bounds testing approach to cointegration was applied to examine the long run relationship among the series, while stationarity properties of the variables were tested by applying two structural break tests i.e. Zivot-Andrews (1992) and Clemente et al. (1998). Our empirical evidence confirmed the long run relationship among the variables. The results showed that financial development, international trade and capital are the drivers of economic growth both in short run as well as in long run. The feedback effect exists between international trade and economic growth. Financial development Granger causes economic growth validating supply-side hypothesis in case of Australia.
|Date of creation:||02 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:||17 Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaheen, Safana & Awan, Masood Sarwar & Waqas, Muhammad & Aslam, Muhammad Amir, 2011. "Financial Development, International Trade and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan," MPRA Paper 32876, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nasim Shah Shirazi & Turkhan Ali Abdul Manap, 2005. "Export-Led Growth Hypothesis: Further Econometric Evidence From South Asia," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 43(4), pages 472-488, December.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2012.
"Does trade openness affect long run growth? Cointegration, causality and forecast error variance decomposition tests for Pakistan,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2325-2339.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz, 2012. "Does Trade Openness Affect Long Run Growth? Cointegration, Causality and Forecast Error Variance Decomposition Tests for Pakistan," MPRA Paper 37391, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Mar 2012.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002.
"FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets,"
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004. "FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Kar Muhsin & Peker Osman & Kaplan Muhittin, 2008. "Trade Liberalization, Financial Development and Economic Growth in The Long Term: The Case of Turkey," South East European Journal of Economics and Business, De Gruyter Open, vol. 3(2), pages 25-38, November.
- James Ang, 2009. "Foreign direct investment and its impact on the Thai economy: the role of financial development," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 33(3), pages 316-323, July.
- Thomas Gries & Manfred Kraft & Daniel Meierrieks, 2008.
"Financial Deepening, Trade Openness and Economic Growth in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
Working Papers CIE
17, Paderborn University, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Thomas Gries & Manfred Kraft & Daniel Meierrieks, 2011. "Financial deepening, trade openness and economic growth in Latin America and the Caribbean," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(30), pages 4729-4739.
- Clemente, Jesus & Montanes, Antonio & Reyes, Marcelo, 1998. "Testing for a unit root in variables with a double change in the mean," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 175-182, May.
- Niels Hermes & Robert Lensink, 2003.
"Foreign direct investment, financial development and economic growth,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 142-163.
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert, 2000. "Foreign direct investment, financial development and economic growth," Research Report 00E27, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Pervaz Azim & Khalil Ahmad, 2011.
"Exports-Led Growth Hypothesis in Pakistan: Further Evidence,"
Asian Economic and Financial Review,
Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 1(3), pages 182-197, September.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Pervaz, Azeem & Ahmad, Khalil, 2011. "Exports-led growth hypothesis in Pakistan: further evidence," MPRA Paper 33617, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 18 Sep 2011.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & David Romer, 1996. "Trade and Growth: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 5476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judith A. Giles, & Cara L. Williams, 1999. "Export-led Growth: A Survey of the Empirical Literature and Some Noncausality Results," Econometrics Working Papers 9901, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Awokuse, Titus O., 2007. "Causality between exports, imports, and economic growth: Evidence from transition economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 389-395, March.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Nuno, Carlos Leitão & Summaira, Malik, 2011.
"Foreign direct investment-economic growth nexus: The role of domestic financial development in Portugal,"
34226, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Oct 2011.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Nuno Carlos leitão & Summaira Malik, 2011. "Foreign Direct Investment-Economic Growth Nexus: The Role of Domestic Financial Development in Portugal," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(4), pages 2824-2838.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Yongkul Won & Frank S.T. Hsiao & Doo Yong Yang, 2008. "FDI Inflows, Exports and Economic Growth in First and Second Generation ANIEs : Panel Data Causality Analyses," Trade Working Papers 21939, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Helmut Luetkepohl, 2005.
"Structural Vector Autoregressive Analysis for Cointegrated Variables,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2005/02, European University Institute.
- Helmut Lütkepohl, 2006. "Structural vector autoregressive analysis for cointegrated variables," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 90(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Jung, Woo S, 1986. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: International Evidence," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(2), pages 333-46, January.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Seema, 2005. "Estimating income and price elasticities of imports for Fiji in a cointegration framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 423-438, May.
- Hatice Pehlivan Jenkıns & Salih Turan Katırcıoglu, 2010. "The bounds test approach for cointegration and causality between financial development, international trade and economic growth: the case of Cyprus," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(13), pages 1699-1707.
- repec:pid:journl:v:42:y:2003:i:4:p:715-723 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992.
"Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-70, July.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tom Doan, . "ZIVOT: RATS procedure to perform Zivot-Andrews Unit Root Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00236, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nicholas Odhiambo, 2010. "Finance-investment-growth nexus in South Africa: an ARDL-bounds testing procedure," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 205-219, August.
- Gries, Thomas & Kraft, Manfred & Meierrieks, Daniel, 2009.
"Linkages Between Financial Deepening, Trade Openness, and Economic Development: Causality Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1849-1860, December.
- Thomas Gries & Manfred Kraft & Daniel Meierrieks, 2008. "Linkages between Financial Deepening,Trade Openness and Economic Development: Causality Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers CIE 15, Paderborn University, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Shan, Jordan Z & Morris, Alan G & Sun, Fiona, 2001. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: An Egg-and-Chicken Problem?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 443-54, August.
- Ali F. Darrat, 1986. "Trade and Development: The Asian Experience," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 6(2), pages 695-699, Fall.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2005. "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1979-1990.
- Salih Turan Katircioglu & Neslihan Kahyalar & Hasret Benar, 2007. "Financial development, trade and growth triangle: the case of India," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(9), pages 586-598, September.
- Samia Nasreen, 2011. "Export-Growth Linkages In Selected Asian Developing Countries: Evidence From Panel Data Analysis," Asian Journal of Empirical Research, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 1(1), pages 1-13, September.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & mohammad, Mafizur Rahman, 2011.
"The dynamic of financial development, imports, foreign direct investment and economic growth: cointegration and causality analysis in Pakistan,"
32181, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Jul 2011.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Mohammad Mafizur Rahman, 2012. "The Dynamic of Financial Development, Imports, Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Pakistan," Global Business Review, International Management Institute, vol. 13(2), pages 201-219, June.
- Christer Ljungwall & Junjie Li, 2007. "Financial Sector Development, FDI and Economic Growth in China," Finance Working Papers 22026, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Titus Awokuse, 2007. "Trade openness and economic growth: is growth export-led or import-led?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 161-173.
- Omran Mohammed & Bolbol Ali, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment, Financial Development, and Economic Growth: Evidence from the Arab Countries," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 1(3), pages 37-55, December.
- Jamshid Damooei. & Tavakoli, Akbar., 2006. "The Effects of Foreign Direct Investment And Imports on Economic Growth: A Comparative Analysis of Thailand and the Philippines (1970-1998)," Journal of Developing Areas, Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 39(2), pages 79-100, January-M.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Shandre Mugan Thangavelu & Gulasekaran Rajaguru, 2004. "Is there an export or import-led productivity growth in rapidly developing Asian countries? a multivariate VAR analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1083-1093.
- Ana Cuadros & Vicente Orts & Maite Alguacil, 2004. "Openness and Growth: Re-Examining Foreign Direct Investment, Trade and Output Linkages in Latin America," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 167-192.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42023. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.