Financial Sector Development, FDI and Economic Growth in China
The economics-literature, drawing on endogenous growth theory, suggests that the level of financial sector development may influence foreign direct investment and its impact on the diffusion of technology in the host country, thereby increasing the rate of economic growth. Little attention, however, has been devoted to confirm or reject this link for China. This paper fills the gap by including measures of financial sector development in this growth regression. The Generalised Method of Moments system estimation is applied to data for 28 Chinese provinces over the period 1986-2003. We show that the interaction between foreign direct investment and indicators measuring the degree of market oriented financing enhance economic growth.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeannine N. Bailliu, 2000.
"Private Capital Flows, Financial Development, and Economic Growth in Developing Countries,"
Staff Working Papers
00-16, Bank of Canada.
- Bailliu, Jeannine N., 2000. "Private Capital Flows, Financial Development, and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," Staff Working Papers 00-15, Bank of Canada.
- Liu, Tung & Li, Kui-Wai, 2001. "Impact of liberalization of financial resources in China's economic growth: evidence from provinces," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 245-262.
- Cheng, X. & Degryse, H.A., 2006.
"The Impact of Bank and Non-Bank Financial Institutions on Local Economic Growth in China,"
2006-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Xiaoqiang Cheng & Hans Degryse, 2010. "The Impact of Bank and Non-Bank Financial Institutions on Local Economic Growth in China," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 179-199, June.
- Xiaoqiang Cheng & Hans Degryse, 2006. "The Impact of Bank and Non-Bank Financial Institutions on Local Economic Growth in China," LICOS Discussion Papers 17106, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Cheng, Xiaoqiang & Degryse, Hans, 2007. "The Impact of Banks and Non-Bank Financial Institutions on Local Economic Growth in China," BOFIT Discussion Papers 22/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Haishun Sun & Ashok Parikh, 2001. "Exports, Inward Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and Regional Economic Growth in China," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 187-196.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Philippe Aghion & Diego Comin & Peter Howitt, 2006.
"When Does Domestic Saving Matter for Economic Growth?,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c011_030, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Philippe Aghion & Diego Comin & Peter Howitt, 2006. "When Does Domestic Saving Matter for Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 12275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Diego Comin & Peter Howitt & Isabel Tecu, 2009. "When Does Domestic Saving Matter for Economic Growth?," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-080, Harvard Business School.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Genevieve Boyreau-Debray, 2004. "Can China Grow Faster? A Diagnosis of the Fragmentation of Its Domestic Capital Market," IMF Working Papers 04/76, International Monetary Fund.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002.
"FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets,"
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004. "FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1997.
"I Just Ran Two Million Regressions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 178-83, May.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2002. "Home and Host Country Effects of FDI," NBER Working Papers 9293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Laurenceson & J. C. H. Chai, 2001. "State banks and economic development in China," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 211-225.
- Ross Levine, 2004.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
10766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiva S. Makki & Agapi Somwaru, 2004. "Impact of Foreign Direct Investment and Trade on Economic Growth: Evidence from Developing Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 795-801.
- Alessandra Guariglia & Sandra Poncet, 2006. "Are Financial Distortions an Impediment to Economic Growth? Evidence from China," Working Papers 2006-21, CEPII research center.
- John Whalley & Xian Xin, 2006.
"China's FDI and Non-FDI Economies and the Sustainability of Future High Chinese Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
12249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- WHALLEY, John & XIN, Xian, 2010. "China's FDI and non-FDI economies and the sustainability of future high Chinese growth," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 123-135, March.
- Durham, J.B.J. Benson, 2004. "Absorptive capacity and the effects of foreign direct investment and equity foreign portfolio investment on economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 285-306, April.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Demurger, Sylvie, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Theory and Application to China," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 140-55, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:financ:22026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.