Financial Development, International Trade and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan
The study utilizes the Autoregressive-distributed lag (ARDL) approach for cointegration and Granger causality test, to explore the long run equilibrium relationship and the possible direction of causality between international trade, financial development and economic growth for the Pakistan economy. Imports plus exports of goods and services is used as a proxy for international trade, while broad money (M2) and gross domestic product (GDP) are used as the proxies for financial development and economic growth, respectively. Result explores a long run relationship between the variables. In case of Pakistan, economy supply leading hypothesis is accepted. Moreover, unidirectional causality is observed from international trade to economic growth and from financial development to international trade.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Publication status:||Published in Romanian Journal of Fiscal Policy 2.2(2011): pp. 11-19|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and growth : Schumpeter might be right,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1083, The World Bank.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1993.
"Cointegration and Speed of Convergence to Equilibrium,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9311, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1996. "Cointegration and speed of convergence to equilibrium," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 117-143.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & A. B. M. Nasir, 2004. "ARDL Approach to Test the Productivity Bias Hypothesis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 483-488, 08.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Waqas, Muhamad & Awan, Masood Sarwar & Aslam, Muhammad Amir, 2011. "We are living on the cost of our children," MPRA Paper 32044, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tsangyao Chang, 2002. "Financial development and economic growth in Mainland China: a note on testing demand-following or supply-leading hypothesis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(13), pages 869-873.
- Emilia Mazur & W. Robert & J. Alexander, 2001. "Financial sector development and economic growth in New Zealand," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(8), pages 545-549.
- Subrata Ghatak & Jalal Siddiki, 2001. "The use of the ARDL approach in estimating virtual exchange rates in India," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(5), pages 573-583.
- Hatice Pehlivan Jenkıns & Salih Turan Katırcıoglu, 2010. "The bounds test approach for cointegration and causality between financial development, international trade and economic growth: the case of Cyprus," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(13), pages 1699-1707.
- Calderon, Cesar & Liu, Lin, 2003.
"The direction of causality between financial development and economic growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 321-334, October.
- César Calderón & Lin Liu, 2002. "The Direction of Causality Between Financial Development and Economic Growth," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 184, Central Bank of Chile.
- Kenneth Kletzer and Pranab Bardhan., 1986.
"Credit Markets and Patterns of International Trade,"
Economics Working Papers
8612, University of California at Berkeley.
- Kletzer, Kenneth & Bardhan, Pranab, 1987. "Credit markets and patterns of international trade," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 57-70, October.
- Kletzer, Kenneth & Bardhan, Pranab, 1986. "Credit Markets and Patterns of International Trade," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1g36f3sd, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Muhammad Arshad Khan & Abdul Qayyum & Saeed Ahmed Sheikh, 2005.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: The Case of Pakistan,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 819-837.
- Khan, Arshad & Qayyum, Abdul & Sheikh, Saeed, 2005. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: The Case of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 2145, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- van Wijnbergen, S., 1982. "Stagflationary effects of monetary stabilization policies : A quantitative analysis of South Korea," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 133-169, April.
- Van Wijnbergen, S., 1985. "Macro-economic effects of changes in bank interest rates : Simulation results for South Korea," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 541-554, August.
- Jacint Balaguer & Manuel Cantavella-Jordá, 2000.
"Tourism As A Long-Run Economic Growth Factor: The Spanish Case,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2000-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Jacint Balaguer & Manuel Cantavella-Jorda, 2002. "Tourism as a long-run economic growth factor: the Spanish case," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(7), pages 877-884.
- Xu, Zhenhui, 1996. "On the Causality between Export Growth and GDP Growth: An Empirical Reinvestigation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 172-184, June.
- Chow, Peter C. Y., 1987. "Causality between export growth and industrial development : Empirial evidence from the NICs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 55-63, June.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Smith, Ron P., 1998. "Structural Analysis of Cointegrating VARs," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9811, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Deena R. Khatkhate, 1972. "Analytic Basis of the Working of Monetary Policy in Less Developed Countries (Fondements analytiques du fonctionnement d'une politique monÃ©taire dans les pays en voie de dÃ©veloppement) (Base analÃt," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 533-558, November.
- Jung, Woo S, 1986. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: International Evidence," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(2), pages 333-346, January.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-298, April.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Ron P. Smith, 1998. "Structural Analysis of Cointegrating VARs," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 471-505, December.
- Klaus Neusser & Maurice Kugler, 1998. "Manufacturing Growth And Financial Development: Evidence From Oecd Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 638-646, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32876. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.