The use of the ARDL approach in estimating virtual exchange rates in India
This paper applies the autoregressive distributed lag approach to cointegration analysis in estimating the 'virtual exchange rate' (VER) in India. The VER would have prevailed if the unconstrained import demand were equal to the constraint imposed due to foreign exchange rationing and the VER is used to approximate the 'price' of rationed foreign exchange reserves. We highlight the shortcomings of the existing literature in approximating equilibrium exchange rates in a less developed country such as India and propose the VER approach for equilibrium rates, which uses information from an estimated structural model. In this relationship, black market real exchange rate (E U ) is a dependent variable and real official exchange rates (E O ), the ratio of the foreign (r*) to the domestic (r) interest rate (I), and official forex reserves (Q) are explanatory variables. In our estimation, the VERs are higher than E O by about 10% in the short-run and 16% in the long-run.
Volume (Year): 28 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJAS20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phylaktis, Kate, 1991. "The black market for dollars in Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 155-172, November.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1995. "An Autoregressive Distributed Lag Modelling Approach to Cointegration Analysis," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9514, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1996. "Testing for the 'Existence of a Long-run Relationship'," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9622, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Sheikh, Munir A., 1976. "Black market for foreign exchange, capital flows and smuggling," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 9-26, March.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor, 1990. "Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries with a Parallel Market for Foreign Exchange; A Formal Framework," IMF Working Papers 90/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jalal U. Siddiki, 2000. "Black market exchange rates in India: an empirical analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 297-313.
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1990. "Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries with a Parallel Market for Foreign Exchange: A Formal Framework," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 560-592, September.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Daniel Valente Dantas & Clarice Pechman & Roberto de Rezende Rocha & Demetrio SimÅes, 1983. "The Black Market for Dollars in Brazil," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(1), pages 25-40.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Ostry, Jonathan D., 1992.
"Response of the equilibrium real exchange rate to real disturbances in developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1325-1334, September.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Jonathan David Ostry, 1991. "Response of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate to Real Disturbances in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 91/3, International Monetary Fund.
- James Tobie & H. S. Houthakker, 1950. "The Effects of Rationing on Demand Elasticities," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 140-153.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Baghestani, Hamid & Noer, John, 1993. "Cointegration analysis of the black market and official exchange rates in India," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 709-721.
- Sanjeev Gupta, 1980. "An application of the monetary approach to black market exchange rates," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 116(2), pages 235-252, June.
- Charemza, Wojciech W., 1990. "Parallel markets, excess demand and virtual prices : An empirical approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 331-339, May.
- Jalal Siddiki, 2002. "Trade and Financial Liberalisation and Endogenous Growth in Bangladesh," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 23-37. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:japsta:v:28:y:2001:i:5:p:573-583. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.