Mis-invoicing and Trade Policy
Trade statistics reported through official sources may not provide the right information because a regulated system does not induce truthful revelation. Hence, policy prescriptions or evaluations based on official statistics can be misleading. For example, the impact of a devaluation on exports and a decline in tariffs on imports will be overestimated under such circumstances. We adopt the well-known methodology of utilizing partner country statistics to reflect the consequences of devaluations of the Indian Rupee on exports and imports from 1960 to 1998. First statistical evidence is presented, then tractable analytical results are developed.
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GPRE19|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1990. "Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries with a Parallel Market for Foreign Exchange: A Formal Framework," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 560-592, September.
- Sheikh, Munir A., 1976. "Black market for foreign exchange, capital flows and smuggling," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 9-26, March.
- Martin, Lawrence & Panagariya, Arvind, 1984. "Smuggling, trade, and price disparity: A crime-theoretic approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 201-217, November.
- Kamin, Steven B., 1993. "Devaluation, exchange controls, and black markets for foreign exchange in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 151-169, February.
- Phylaktis, Kate, 1991. "The black market for dollars in Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 155-172, November.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati & T. N. Srinivasan, 1975. "Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Development: India," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bhag75-1.
- Marjit, Sugata & Shi, Heling, 1998. "On controlling crime with corrupt officials," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 163-172, January.
- Kemp, Murray C., 1976. "Smuggling and optimal commercial policy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 381-384.
- Rodney E. Falvey, 1978. "A Note on Preferential and Illegal Trade Under Quantitative Restrictions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 92(1), pages 175-178.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jpolrf:v:8:y:2005:i:3:p:189-205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.