To drive or not to drive? A simple evolutionary model
Car use is an increasingly serious problem in many modern cities because of polluting emissions, noise, accidents and congestion. To examine this issue, this paper analyzes the individual choice between taking the car and using alternative transport modes (e.g. walking, cycling, taking the bus etc...) in the presence of cars' negative impacts on alternative transport modes. Using a simple evolutionary model, we show the existence of suboptimal Nash equilibria characterized by the widespread use of cars and discuss the effects of simple transport policies that reduce cars' negative impacts on alternative transport modes.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antoci, Angelo & Borghesi, Simone & Russu, Paolo, 2011.
"Environmental protection mechanisms and technological dynamics,"
36597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antoci, Angelo & Borghesi, Simone & Russu, Paolo, 2012. "Environmental protection mechanisms and technological dynamics," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 840-847.
- Sartorius, Christian, 2006. "Second-order sustainability--conditions for the development of sustainable innovations in a dynamic environment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 268-286, June.
- Angelo Antoci & Simone Borghesi, 2010. "Environmental degradation, self-protection choices and coordination failures in a North–South evolutionary model," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 89-107, June.
- Köhler, Jonathan & Whitmarsh, Lorraine & Nykvist, Björn & Schilperoord, Michel & Bergman, Noam & Haxeltine, Alex, 2009. "A transitions model for sustainable mobility," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(12), pages 2985-2995, October.
- Angelo Antoci & Marcello Galeotti & Davide Radi, 2011.
"Financial tools for the abatement of traffic congestion: a dynamical analysis,"
Working Papers - Mathematical Economics
2011-01, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Angelo Antoci & Marcello Galeotti & Davide Radi, 2011. "Financial Tools for the Abatement of Traffic Congestion: A Dynamical Analysis," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 38(3), pages 389-405, October.
- Vanessa Oltra & Maider Saint Jean, 2005.
"The dynamics of environmental innovations: three stylised trajectories of clean technology,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 189-212.
- Vanessa OLTRA (GRES-IFReDE-E3i) & Maïder SAINT-JEAN (GRES-IFReDE-E3i), 2003. "The dynamics of environmental innovations : three stylised trajectories of clean technology," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2003-03, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Jonathan Leape, 2006. "The London Congestion Charge," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 157-176, Fall.
- Banister, David, 2008. "The sustainable mobility paradigm," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 73-80, March.
- Rammel, Christian & Stagl, Sigrid & Wilfing, Harald, 2007. "Managing complex adaptive systems -- A co-evolutionary perspective on natural resource management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 9-21, June.
- Kirby, Dustin K. & LeSage, James P., 2009. "Changes in commuting to work times over the 1990 to 2000 period," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 460-471, July.
- Kemp, Rene & Avelino, Flor & Bressers, Nanny, 2011. "Transition management as a model for sustainable mobility," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 47, pages 26-46.
- Antoci, Angelo & Borghesi, Simone, 2012.
"Preserving or escaping? On the welfare effects of environmental self-protective choices,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 248-254.
- Antoci, Angelo & Borghesi, Simone, 2010. "Preserving or escaping? On the welfare effects of environmental self-protective choices," MPRA Paper 22580, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeroen Bergh, 2007. "Evolutionary thinking in environmental economics," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 17(5), pages 521-549, October.
- Joelle Noailly, Jeroen van den Bergh, Cees Withagen, 2001.
"Evolution of Harvesting Strategies: Replicator and Resource Dynamics,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
263, Society for Computational Economics.
- Joïlle Noailly & Jeroen C.J.M. van den Bergh & Cees A. Withagen, 2003. "Evolution of harvesting strategies: replicator and resource dynamics," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 183-200, 04.
- Marc Dijk & René Kemp & Pieter Valkering, 2013. "Incorporating social context and co-evolution in an innovation diffusion model—with an application to cleaner vehicles," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 295-329, April.
- Hoekstra, Jeljer & van den Bergh, Jeroen C.J.M., 2005. "Harvesting and conservation in a predator-prey system," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1097-1120, June.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20070018 is not listed on IDEAS
- Angelo Antoci & Stefano Bartolini, 1997. "Externalities and Growth in an Evolutionary Game," Department of Economics Working Papers 9710, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- van den Bergh, Jeroen C. J. M. & Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada & Munda, Giuseppe, 2000. "Alternative models of individual behaviour and implications for environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 43-61, January.
- Bristow, Abigail L. & Tight, Miles & Pridmore, Alison & May, Anthony D., 2008. "Developing pathways to low carbon land-based passenger transport in Great Britain by 2050," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 3427-3435, September.
- Kallis, Giorgos & Norgaard, Richard B., 2010. "Coevolutionary ecological economics," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 690-699, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39560. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.