Financial Tools for the Abatement of Traffic Congestion: A Dynamical Analysis
In this article we propose a simple mechanism aimed at implementing and supporting environmental protection policies in urban areas based on innovative financial instruments issued by a policy maker, which can be bought by two categories of involved agents, city users and agencies providing the city services. According to this mechanism, virtuous service providers choosing to offer high quality services can obtain cost abatement. City users, recip- rocally, have to pay for entering into the city, but can protect themselves against a city low quality of life by a self-insurance device. The interaction of these two categories of economic agents is modelled by a two-population evolutionary game, where the population of city users strategically interacts with that of service providers. From the analysis of the model it emerges that such a dynamics may lead to a welfare- improving attracting Nash equilibrium at which all city users choose to use environmental-friendly means of transportation and all service providers choose to offer high quality services. However, the basin of attraction of that equilibrium may have a rather complex morphology. In particular more attractors and/or limit cycles can be present. In such a context we indicate sufficient conditions making the virtuous equilibrium a global attractor for all trajectories starting at a mixed-strategy point.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 38 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100248|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simone Borghesi & Angelo Antoci & Marcello Galeotti, 2009.
"Environmental Options and Technological Innovation: An Evolutionary Game Model,"
2009.90, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Angelo Antoci & Simone Borghesi & Marcello Galeotti, 2013. "Environmental options and technological innovation: an evolutionary game model," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 247-269, April.
- Angelo Antoci & Simone Borghesi & Marcello Galeotti, 2009. "Environmental options and technological innovation: an evolutionary game model," Working Papers - Mathematical Economics 2009-04, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Costanza, Robert & Perrings, Charles, 1990. "A flexible assurance bonding system for improved environmental management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 57-75, April.
- Antoci, Angelo & Galeotti, Marcello & Geronazzo, Lucio, 2007. "Visitor and firm taxes versus environmental options in a dynamical context," MPRA Paper 13667, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Perrings, Charles, 1989. "Environmental bonds and environmental research in innovative activities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 95-110, February.
- Luigi Bonatti & Emanuele Campiglio, 2009. "Mobility Systems and Economic Growth: a Theoretical Analysis of the Long-Term Effects of Alternative Transportation Policies," Department of Economics Working Papers 0907, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Angelo Antoci & Marcello Galeotti & Davide Radi, 2011.
"Financial tools for the abatement of traffic congestion: a dynamical analysis,"
Working Papers - Mathematical Economics
2011-01, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Angelo Antoci & Marcello Galeotti & Davide Radi, 2011. "Financial Tools for the Abatement of Traffic Congestion: A Dynamical Analysis," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 38(3), pages 389-405, October.
- Gwilliam, Ken, 2008. "A review of issues in transit economics," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 4-22, January.
- Gian Italo Bischi & Davide Radi, 2011. "An extension of the Antoci-Dei-Galeotti evolutionary model for environment protection through financial instruments," Working Papers 1105, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2011.
- Antoci, Angelo & Sodini, Mauro, 2009. "Indeterminacy, bifurcations and chaos in an overlapping generations model with negative environmental externalities," MPRA Paper 13750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:38:y:2011:i:3:p:389-405. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.