Indeterminacy, bifurcations and chaos in an overlapping generations model with negative environmental externalities
We analyze an overlapping generations model where agent’s welfare depends on three goods: leisure, environmental quality and consumption of a private good. We assume that the production process of the private good depletes the natural resource and that the consumption of the private good alleviates the damages due to environmental deterioration. In such context, we show that individuals’ reactions to environmental deterioration may lead to complex dynamics, in particular to the rise of periodic orbits and chaos.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997.
"Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles,"
97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997. "Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles," CORE Discussion Papers 1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Barkley Rosser, J. Jr., 2001. "Complex ecologic-economic dynamics and environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 23-37, April.
- G, Cazzavillan & T, Lloyd-Braga & P, A, Pintus, 1997.
"Multiple Steady States and Endogenous Fluctuations with Increasing Returns to Scale in Production,"
97-29, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Pintus, Patrick A., 1998. "Multiple Steady States and Endogenous Fluctuations with Increasing Returns to Scale in Production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 60-107, May.
- Cazzavillan, Guido & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Pintus, Patrick, 1996. "Multiple steady states and endogenous fluctuations with increasing returns to scale in production," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9618, CEPREMAP.
- Bartolini, Stefano & Bonatti, Luigi, 2003. "Undesirable growth in a model with capital accumulation and environmental assets," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 11-30, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521725200 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bartolini, Stefano & Bonatti, Luigi, 2002. "Environmental and social degradation as the engine of economic growth," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-16, November.
- Angelo Antoci & Stefano Bartolini, 1997. "Externalities and Growth in an Evolutionary Game," Department of Economics Working Papers 9710, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Hommes, Cars H. & Rosser,, J. Barkley, 2001.
"Consistent Expectations Equilibria And Complex Dynamics In Renewable Resource Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(02), pages 180-203, April.
- Hommes, C.H. & Rosser, B.J., Jr., 2000. "Consistent Expectations Equilibria and Complex Dynamics in Renewable Resource Markets," CeNDEF Working Papers 00-05, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Angelo Antoci & Simone Borghesi & Marcello Galeotti, 2008. "Should we replace the environment?: Limits of economic growth in the presence of self-protective choices," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(4), pages 283-297, March.
- Jason Shogren & Thomas Crocker, 1991. "Cooperative and noncooperative protection against transferable and filterable externalities," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(2), pages 195-214, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521898010 is not listed on IDEAS
- Antoci, Angelo & Galeotti, Marcello & Russu, Paolo, 2005. "Consumption of private goods as substitutes for environmental goods in an economic growth model," MPRA Paper 13664, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John, A & Pecchenino, R, 1994. "An Overlapping Generations Model of Growth and the Environment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1393-1410, November.
- Reichlin, Pietro, 1986. "Equilibrium cycles in an overlapping generations economy with production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-102, October.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20010013 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2001013 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cazzavillan, Guido, 2001. "Indeterminacy and Endogenous Fluctuations with Arbitrarily Small Externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 133-157, November.
- John, A. & Pecchenino, R. & Schimmelpfennig, D. & Schreft, S., 1995. "Short-lived agents and the long-lived environment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 127-141, September.
- Antoci, Angelo, 2009. "Environmental degradation as engine of undesirable economic growth via self-protection consumption choices," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1385-1397, March.
- Bird, Peter J. W. N., 1987. "The transferability and depletability of externalities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 54-57, March.
- Antoci, Angelo & Bartolini, Stefano, 1999. "Negative externalities as the engine of growth in an evolutionary context," MPRA Paper 13908, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thomas SEEGMULLER & Alban VERCHÈRE, 2005. "Environment in an Overlapping Generations Economy with Endogenous Labor Supply : a Dynamic Analysis," Working Papers of BETA 2005-05, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Bischi, Gian Italo & Lamantia, Fabio, 2007. "Harvesting dynamics in protected and unprotected areas," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 348-370, March.
- Duranton, Gilles, 2001. "Endogenous labor supply, growth and overlapping generations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 295-314, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13750. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.