Cooperative and noncooperative protection against transferable and filterable externalities
Given self-protection from an undesirable environmental externality, we examine, under several conditions, the efficiency properties of cooperative and noncooperative behavior. We demonstrate that if self-protection can transfer the externality to another agent, then noncooperative behavior will lead to overprotection. If self-protection filters or dilutes the externality, then noncooperation leads to underprotection. In addition, overprotection will worsen if an agent with more relative power is allowed a first-mover advantage or if the damage function is elastic and transferability is uncertain. Finally, a reduction in uncertainty about transferability will accentuate overprotection if the damage function is inelastic. Our results suggest that coordination of protection activities among agents will enhance the overall gains from environmental policy in the European Single Internal Market of 1992. Coordination minimizes the costs of environmental protection, thereby reducing the public credibility of its foes. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1991
Volume (Year): 1 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shogren, Jason F & Baik, Kyung H, 1992. "Favorites and Underdogs: Strategic Behavior in an Experimental Contest," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 74(2), pages 191-205, September.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1987. "Strategic Behavior in Contests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 891-98, December.
- Smith, V Kerry & Desvousges, William H, 1987. "An Empirical Analysis of the Economic Value of Risk Changes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 89-114, February.
- Shogren, Jason F., 1990.
"Impact of Self-Protection and Self-Insurance on Individual Response to Risk (The),"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
297, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jason F. Shogren, 1990. "Impact of Self-Protection and Self-Insurance on Individual Response to Risk, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 90-wp53, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bird, Peter J. W. N., 1987. "The transferability and depletability of externalities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 54-57, March.
- Lave, Lester B, 1982. "Mitigating Strategies for Carbon Dioxide Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(2), pages 257-61, May.
- Shogren, Jason F & Baik, Kyung H, 1991. "Reexamining Efficient Rent-Seeking in Laboratory Markets," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 69(1), pages 69-79, February.
- V. Kerry Smith & William H. Desvousges & F. Reed Johnson & Ann Fisher, 1990. "Can public information programs affect risk perceptions?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 41-59.
- Thomas D. Crocker & Jason F. Shogren, 1990. "Ex Ante Valuation of Atmospheric Visibility," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 90-wp56, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Smith, Vernon L, 1980. "Experiments with a Decentralized Mechanism for Public Good Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 584-99, September.
- Shogren, Jason F, 1990. "The Impact of Self-protection and Self-insurance on Individual Response to Risk," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 191-204, June.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988.
"The Theory of Environmental Policy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521322249, Junio.
- Sandler, Todd & Lapan, Harvey E., 1988. "The Calculus of Dissent: An Analysis of Terrorists' Choice of Targets," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10818, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sterner, Thomas, 1990. "An international tax on pollution and natural resource depletion," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 300-302, April.
- Smith, Vernon L, 1982. "Microeconomic Systems as an Experimental Science," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 923-55, December.
- Shogren, Jason F., 1989. "Political Economy of Government Regulation (The)," Staff General Research Papers Archive 294, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:1:y:1991:i:2:p:195-214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.