Devaluation and income inequality: Evidence from Pakistan
The paper examines the impact of nominal devaluation on income distribution in Pakistan. In the empirical model we include economic growth, measured per capita; trade-openness; foreign direct investment (FDI); unemployment and inflation rates which appear well justified in the particular context of the economy of Pakistan. The Auto Regressive Distributed Lag (ARDL) bounds testing approach to cointegration has been employed for the long run relation; and the Vector Error Correction Model (VECM) for the short run dynamics. We also test the Kuznets inverted-U relation between income inequality and economic growth. We find long run relationship among the series; and that nominal devaluation worsens income inequality. Though economic growth appears to deteriorate income distribution, the non-linear link between the variables depicts Kuznets’ (1955) type inverted-U relationship. This is reassuring for Pakistan in the long run. We also find FDI and trade-openness worsens income distribution. Inflation lowers income inequality but unemployment aggravates it in Pakistan.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:||21 Dec 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muhammad Shahbaz Akmal & Qazi Masood Ahmad & Mohsin Hussain Ahmad & Muhammad Sabihuddin Butt, 2007. "An Empirical Investigation of the Relationship between Trade Liberalization and Poverty Reduction: A Case for Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 12(1), pages 99-118, Jan-Jun.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Naveed Aamir, 2007. "Rural-Urban Income Inequality under Financial Development and Trade Openness in Pakistan: The Econometric Evidence," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(4), pages 657-672.
- Muhammad Shahbaz, 2010. "Income inequality-economic growth and non-linearity: a case of Pakistan," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(8), pages 613-636, July.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Bazoumana Ouattara, 2006. "Aid, debt and fiscal policies in Senegal," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(8), pages 1105-1122.
- Berry, Albert, 1974. "Changing Income Distribution under Development: Colombia," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 20(3), pages 289-316, September.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Faridul Islam & Naveed Aamir, 2012.
"Is devaluation contractionary? Empirical evidence for Pakistan,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 45(4), pages 299-316, November.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Faridul, Islam & Naveed, Aamir, 2011. "Is devaluation contractionary? empirical evidence for Pakistan," MPRA Paper 32520, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Aug 2011.
- Tuomas Malinen, 2012. "Estimating the long-run relationship between income inequality and economic development," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 209-233, February.
- Doyle, Chris, 1996. "The Distributional Consequences during the Early Stages of Russia's Transition," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(4), pages 493-505, December.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee, 1997. "Effects of devaluation on income distribution," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(5), pages 321-323.
- Mark W. Frank, 2005. "Income Inequality and Economic Growth in the U.S. :A Panel Cointegration Approach," Working Papers 0503, Sam Houston State University, Department of Economics and International Business.
- Nahum, Ruth-Aïda, 2005. "Income Inequality and Growth: A Panel Study of Swedish Counties 1960-2000," Working Paper Series 2005:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Nahum, Ruth-Aïda, 2005. "Income Inequality and Growth: a Panel Study of Swedish Counties 1960-2000," Arbetsrapport 2005:3, Institute for Futures Studies.
- Osmani, S.R., 2005. "The impact of globalization on poverty in Bangladesh," ILO Working Papers 993870563402676, International Labour Organization.
- Isabelle Bensidoun & Sébastien Jean & Aude Sztulman, 2011. "International trade and income distribution: reconsidering the evidence," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 147(4), pages 593-619, November.
- Isabelle Bensidoun & Sébastien Jean & Aude Sztulman, 2005. "International Trade and Income Distribution: Reconsidering the Evidence," Working Papers 2005-17, CEPII research center.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2005. "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1979-1990.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:387056 is not listed on IDEAS
- Muhammad SHAHBAZ, 2009. "On Nominal and Real Devaluations Relation: An Econometric Evidence for Pakistan," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- Mohtadi, Hamid, 1988. "Growth-Distribution Trade-offs: The Role of Capacity Utilisation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 419-433, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2004. "Globalization and growth in emerging markets," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 465-484, June.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Faridul Islam, 2011. "Financial Development And Income Inequality In Pakistan: An Application Of Ardl Approach," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 35-58, March.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Islam, Faridul, 2011. "Financial development and income inequality in Pakistan: An application of ARDL approach," MPRA Paper 28222, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Papanek, Gustav F. & Kyn, Oldrich, 1986. "The effect on income distribution of development, the growth rate and economic strategy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 55-65, September.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish, 2004. "Anti-globalization: why?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 439-463, June.
- M. Bahmani-Oskooee & A. Gelan, 2008. "Kuznets inverted-U hypothesis revisited: a time-series approach using US data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(9), pages 677-681. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)