New facts for old debates: Farm size and productivity in US agriculture
This study examines the relationship between farm size and productivity in U.S. agriculture during 1982-92. A nonparametric regression method is applied to detect ex-post geographical patterns in changes in farm size and productivity. The estimations show that (i) in 1982 productivity per acre was high in the East, West, and South, modest in the middle part of the U.S., and low in the North, and this pattern remained the same during 1987-92, while the level of productivity continously increased over time; (ii) during 1982-92 farm size remained unchanged, large farms in the middle belt stretching from North to South and small ones in the East, West and South; and �nally (iii) during 1982-92 an inverse relationship grew stronger between farm size and productivity. Furthermore, with the application of Markov chains approach, we projected the above patterns into the future. The �ndings suggest: (i) farms are likely to experience ower productivity; (ii) small and large farms are likely to coexist as medium-sized farms to vanish; and (iii) the inverse relationship is likely to show a strong geographical pattern.
|Date of creation:||29 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Fawson & C. Richard Shumway, 1988. "A Nonparametric Investigation of Agricultural Production Behavior for U.S. Subregions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(2), pages 311-317.
- Edwards, Clark & Smith, Matthew G. & Peterson, R. Neal, 1985. "The Changing Distribution of Farms by Size: A Markov Analysis," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 4.
- Adonis Yatchew, 1998. "Nonparametric Regression Techniques in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 669-721, June.
- Hardle, W., 1992.
"Applied Nonparametric Methods,"
9204, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- HÄRDLE, Wolfgang, 1992. "Applied nonparametric methods," CORE Discussion Papers 1992003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Härdle, W.K., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Discussion Paper 1992-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9206, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Wolfgang Hardle & Oliver Linton, 1994. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1069, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Danny Quah, 1992.
"Empirical Cross-Section Dynamics in Economic Growth,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp154, Financial Markets Group.
- Quah, Danny, 1993. "Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 426-434, April.
- Danny Quah, 1992. "Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 75, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Cox, Thomas L & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 1990. "A Nonparametric Analysis of Productivity: The Case of U.S. Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 17(4), pages 449-64.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Empirics for economic growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1353-1375, June.
- Dismukes, Robert & Harwood, Joy L. & Bentley, Susan E., 1997. "Characteristics and Risk Management Needs of Limited-Resource and Socially Disadvantaged Farmers," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33622, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Robert E. Evenson & Wallace B. Huffman, 1997. "Long-Run Structural and Productivity Change in U.S. Agriculture: Effects of Prices and Policies," Working Papers 773, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- B. Delworth Gardner & Rulon D. Pope, 1978. "How is Scale and Structure Determined in Agriculture?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 60(2), pages 295-302.
- Christopher Barrett, 1993.
"On the Price Risk and the Inverse Farm Size-Productivity Relationship,"
Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers
369, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Christopher BARRETT, 1993. "On The Price Risk And The Inverse Farm Size-Productivity Relationship," Staff Papers 369, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE.
- Taslim, M A, 1989. "Supervision Problems and the Size-Productivity Relation in Bangladesh Agriculture," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(1), pages 55-71, February.
- Feder, Gershon, 1985. "The relation between farm size and farm productivity : The role of family labor, supervision and credit constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 297-313, August.
- B. F. Stanton, 1978. "Perspective on Farm Size," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 60(5), pages 727-737.
- Oliver LINTON, .
"Applied nonparametric methods,"
Statistic und Oekonometrie
9312, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea, 1985. "Farm size, land yields and the agricultural production function: An analysis for fifteen developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 513-534, April.
- Lipton, Michael, 1993. "Land reform as commenced business: The evidence against stopping," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 641-657, April.
- Tavernier, Edmund M. & Temel, Tugrul T. & Li, Farong, 1997. "The Role Of Farm Ownership In Off-Farm Work Participation," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 26(1), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31920. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.