Applied nonparametric methods
In: Handbook of Econometrics
We review different approaches to nonparametric density and regression estimation. Kernel estimators are motivated from local averaging and solving ill-posed problems. Kernel estimators are compared to k-NN estimators, orthogonal series and splines. Pointwise and uniform confidence bands are described, and the choice of smoothing parameter is discussed. Finally, the method is applied to nonparametric prediction of time series and to semiparametric estimation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of Econometrics with number
4-38.||Handle:|| RePEc:eee:ecochp:4-38||Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookseriesdescription.cws_home/BS_HE/description|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 1990.
"Additive Interactive Regression Models: Circumvention of the Curse of Dimensionality,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(04), pages 466-479, December.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Yoon-Jae Whang, 1989. "Additive Interactive Regression Models: Circumvention of the Curse of Dimensionality," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 925, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hardle, W. & Hall, P. & Ichimura, H., 1991. "Optimal smoothing in single index models," CORE Discussion Papers 1991007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chaudhuri, Probal, 1991. "Global nonparametric estimation of conditional quantile functions and their derivatives," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 246-269, November.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 307-345, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 874R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised May 1989.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Nason, James A., 1990. "Nonparametric exchange rate prediction?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3-4), pages 315-332, May.
- Francis X. Diebold & James M. Nason, 1989. "Nonparametric exchange rate prediction?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 81, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1986. "Asymptotic efficiency in semi-parametric models with censoring," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 189-218, July.
- Engle, Robert F & Hendry, David F & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1983. "Exogeneity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 277-304, March.
- ENGLE, Robert F. & HENDRY, David F. & RICHARD, Jean-François, "undated". "Exogeneity," CORE Discussion Papers RP 516, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Engle, Robert F & Hendry, David F & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1979. "Exogeneity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 162, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1991. "On the asymptotic normality of Fourier flexible form estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 329-353, December.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Gallant, A Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1983. "An Elasticity Can Be Estimated Consistently without A Priori Knowledge of Functional Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1731-1751, November.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:6:y:1990:i:4:p:466-79 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sumru Altug & Robert A. Miller, 1990. "Human capital, aggregate shocks, and panel data estimation," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 47, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Human Capital , Aggregate Shocks and Panel Data Estimation," GSIA Working Papers 1991-25, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Human capital, aggregate shocks and panel data estimation," Discussion Paper 1991-28, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Human Capital, Aggregate Shocks and Panel Data Estimation," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 91-1, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Human Capital, Aggregate Shocks and Panel Data Estimation," Papers 9128, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1991. "A semiparametric structural analysis of the idling of cement kilns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 235-256, December.
- Delgado, Miguel A., 1992. "Semiparametric Generalized Least Squares in the Multivariate Nonlinear Regression Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 203-222, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Gardner, Roy, 1976. "Some Finite Sample Properties of Spectral Estimators of a Linear Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(1), pages 149-165, January.
- R. F. Engle & R. Gardner, 1973. "Some Finite Sample Properties of Spectral Estimators of a Linear Regression," Working papers 122, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Deaton, Angus, 1989. "Rice Prices and Income Distribution in Thailand: A Non-parametric Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(395), pages 1-37, Supplemen. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecochp:4-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.