Applied nonparametric methods
In: Handbook of Econometrics
We review different approaches to nonparametric density and regression estimation. Kernel estimators are motivated from local averaging and solving ill-posed problems. Kernel estimators are compared to k-NN estimators, orthogonal series and splines. Pointwise and uniform confidence bands are described, and the choice of smoothing parameter is discussed. Finally, the method is applied to nonparametric prediction of time series and to semiparametric estimation.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of Econometrics with number
4-38.||Handle:|| RePEc:eee:ecochp:4-38||Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookseriesdescription.cws_home/BS_HE/description|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1986. "Asymptotic efficiency in semi-parametric models with censoring," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 189-218, July.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991.
"Human Capital, Aggregate Shocks and Panel Data Estimation,"
University of Chicago - Economics Research Center
91-1, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Human Capital , Aggregate Shocks and Panel Data Estimation," GSIA Working Papers 1991-25, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Sumru Altug & Robert A. Miller, 1990. "Human capital, aggregate shocks, and panel data estimation," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 47, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Human Capital, Aggregate Shocks and Panel Data Estimation," Papers 9128, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Human capital, aggregate shocks and panel data estimation," Discussion Paper 1991-28, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 307-45, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 874R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised May 1989.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Yoon-Jae Whang, 1989.
"Additive Interactive Regression Models: Circumvention of the Curse of Dimensionality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
925, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 1990. "Additive Interactive Regression Models: Circumvention of the Curse of Dimensionality," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(04), pages 466-479, December.
- Engle, Robert F & Hendry, David F & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1979.
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
162, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1991. "On the asymptotic normality of Fourier flexible form estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 329-353, December.
- Francis X. Diebold & James M. Nason, 1989.
"Nonparametric exchange rate prediction?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
81, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- R. F. Engle & R. Gardner, 1973.
"Some Finite Sample Properties of Spectral Estimators of a Linear Regression,"
122, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F & Gardner, Roy, 1976. "Some Finite Sample Properties of Spectral Estimators of a Linear Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(1), pages 149-65, January.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:6:y:1990:i:4:p:466-79 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Gallant, A Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1983. "An Elasticity Can Be Estimated Consistently without A Priori Knowledge of Functional Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1731-51, November.
- Hardle, W. & Hall, P. & Ichimura, H., 1991. "Optimal smoothing in single index models," CORE Discussion Papers 1991007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Deaton, Angus, 1989. "Rice Prices and Income Distribution in Thailand: A Non-parametric Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(395), pages 1-37, Supplemen.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1991. "A semiparametric structural analysis of the idling of cement kilns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 235-256, December.
- Chaudhuri, Probal, 1991. "Global nonparametric estimation of conditional quantile functions and their derivatives," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 246-269, November.
- Delgado, Miguel A., 1992. "Semiparametric Generalized Least Squares in the Multivariate Nonlinear Regression Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 203-222, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecochp:4-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.