Applied nonparametric methods
In this note we review different approaches to non parametric regression. Kernel estimators are motivated from local averaging, solving ill-posed problems and weighting of binned data. Kernel estimators are compared to k-NN estimators and splines. The choice of smoothing paramet.er is discussed and finally the method is applied for nonparametric prediction of time series.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1992|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Delgado, Miguel A., 1992. "Semiparametric Generalized Least Squares in the Multivariate Nonlinear Regression Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 203-222, June.
- Hardle, W. & Hall, P. & Ichimura, H., 1991. "Optimal smoothing in single index models," CORE Discussion Papers 1991007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991.
"Human Capital, Aggregate Shocks and Panel Data Estimation,"
University of Chicago - Economics Research Center
91-1, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Sumru Altug & Robert A. Miller, 1990. "Human capital, aggregate shocks, and panel data estimation," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 47, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Human Capital , Aggregate Shocks and Panel Data Estimation," GSIA Working Papers 1991-25, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Human capital, aggregate shocks and panel data estimation," Discussion Paper 1991-28, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Altug, S. & Miller, R.A., 1991. "Human Capital, Aggregate Shocks and Panel Data Estimation," Papers 9128, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 307-45, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 874R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised May 1989.
- Engle, Robert F & Hendry, David F & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1979.
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
162, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Deaton, Angus, 1989. "Rice Prices and Income Distribution in Thailand: A Non-parametric Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(395), pages 1-37, Supplemen.
- Francis X. Diebold & James M. Nason, 1989.
"Nonparametric exchange rate prediction?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
81, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1986. "Asymptotic efficiency in semi-parametric models with censoring," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 189-218, July.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:6:y:1990:i:4:p:466-79 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chaudhuri, Probal, 1991. "Global nonparametric estimation of conditional quantile functions and their derivatives," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 246-269, November.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Gallant, A Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1983. "An Elasticity Can Be Estimated Consistently without A Priori Knowledge of Functional Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1731-51, November.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1991. "A semiparametric structural analysis of the idling of cement kilns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 235-256, December.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1991. "On the asymptotic normality of Fourier flexible form estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 329-353, December.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Yoon-Jae Whang, 1989.
"Additive Interactive Regression Models: Circumvention of the Curse of Dimensionality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
925, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 1990. "Additive Interactive Regression Models: Circumvention of the Curse of Dimensionality," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(04), pages 466-479, December.
- Engle, Robert F & Gardner, Roy, 1976.
"Some Finite Sample Properties of Spectral Estimators of a Linear Regression,"
Econometric Society, vol. 44(1), pages 149-65, January.
- R. F. Engle & R. Gardner, 1973. "Some Finite Sample Properties of Spectral Estimators of a Linear Regression," Working papers 122, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:1992003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.