Gender, Time Use, and Labor Income in Guinea: Micro and Macro Analyses
Higher incomes for women can have significant beneficial impacts for poverty reduction both in the short run by providing more resources to households and in the long run by increasing investments in the human capital of children. Substantial research has been done using microeconomic household survey data on gender disparities in labor incomes in developing countries in recent years. The first contribution of this paper is to summarize some of that research as applied to Guinea. However, microeconomic studies may not necessarily provide insights on how broad structural shifts in an economy could affect differently opportunities for work and income generation for men and women. In the second part of the paper, we use a recent Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) for Guinea to assess how growth in various sectors of the economy could affect the incomes of women and men both directly and indirectly through multiplier effects. We find that an expansion of sectors oriented primarily towards domestic consumption could have a larger positive impact on the labor income share of women than an expansion of export-oriented sectors.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Gender Disparities in Africa’s Labor Markets, World Bank, Washington, DC (edited by J. S. Arbache, A. Kolev, and E. Filipiak) (2010): pp. 231-271|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewis, Blane D. & Thorbecke, Erik, 1992. "District-level economic linkages in Kenya: Evidence based on a small regional social accounting matrix," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 881-897, June.
- Parikh, Alka & Thorbecke, Erik, 1996. "Impact of Rural Industrialization on Village Life and Economy: A Social Accounting Matrix Approach," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(2), pages 351-377, January.
- Fofana, Ismael & Parra, Juan Carlos & Wodon, Quentin, 2009. "Exports and labor income by gender: a social accounting matrix analysis for Senegal," MPRA Paper 28473, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dale W. Jorgenson, 1998. "Growth, Volume 2: Energy, the Environment, and Economic Growth," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 2, number 0262100746, July.
- Semboja, Haji Hatibu Haji, 1994. "The effects of energy taxes on the Kenyan economy : A CGE analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 205-215, July.
- Defourny, Jacques & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "Structural Path Analysis and Multiplier Decomposition within a Social Accounting Matrix Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 111-136, March.
- Bardasi, Elena & Wodon, Quentin, 2006. "Poverty Reduction from Full Employment: A Time Use Approach," MPRA Paper 11084, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Appleton, Simon & Hoddinott, John & Krishnan, Pramila, 1999.
"The Gender Wage Gap in Three African Countries,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 289-312, January.
- Simon Appleton & John Hoddinott & Pramila Krishnan, 1996. "The gender wage gap in three African countries," CSAE Working Paper Series 1996-07, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Quentin Wodon & Elena Bardasi, 2006. "Measuring Time Poverty and Analyzing its Determinants: Concepts and Application to Guinea," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 10(12), pages 1-7.
- Bardasi, Elena & Wodon, Quentin, 2006. "Measuring Time Poverty and Analyzing Its Determinants: Concepts and Application to Guinea," MPRA Paper 11082, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arndt, Channing & Jensen, Henning Tarp & Tarp, Finn, 2000. "Structural Characteristics of the Economy of Mozambique: A SAM-Based Analysis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 292-306, October.
- Dick, Hermann & Gupta, Sanjeev & Vincent, David & Voigt, Herbert, 1984. "The effect of oil price increases on four oil-poor developing countries : A comparative analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 59-70, January.
- Roland-Holst, David W & Sancho, Ferran, 1995. "Modeling Prices in a SAM Structure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(2), pages 361-371, May.
- Roland-Holst, D.W. & Sancho, F., 1991. "Modeling Proces in a Sam Structure," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 189.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Martina Zweimüller & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Doris Weichselbaumer, 2008. "Market Orientation and Gender Wage Gaps: an International Study," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 615-635, November.
- Weichselbaumer, Doris & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Martina, 2007. "Market Orientation and Gender Wage Gaps: An International Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 6388, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Doris Weichselbaumer & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Martina Zweimüller, 2007. "Market Orientation and Gender Wage Gaps: An International Study," Economics working papers 2007-12, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Weichselbaumer, Doris & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Martina, 2007. "Market Orientation and Gender Wage Gaps. An International Study," Economics Series 217, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Zweimüller, Martina & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Weichselbaumer, Doris, 2007. "Market Orientation and Gender Wage Gaps: An International Study," IZA Discussion Papers 2918, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pyatt, F Graham & Round, Jeffery I, 1979. "Accounting and Fixed Price Multipliers in a Social Accounting Matrix Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 850-873, December.
- John Hoddinott & Lawrence Haddad, 1994. "Does female income share influence household expenditures? Evidence from the Côte d'Ivoire," CSAE Working Paper Series 1994-17, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Karingi, Stephen N. & Siriwardana, Mahinda., 2003. "A CGE model analysis of effects of adjustment to terms of trade shocks on agriculture and income distribution in Kenya," Journal of Developing Areas, Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 37(1), pages 87-108, September.
- Elena Bardasi & Quentin Wodon, 2010. "Working Long Hours and Having No Choice: Time Poverty in Guinea," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 45-78.
- Bardasi, Elena & Wodon, Quentin, 2009. "Working long hours and having no choice : time poverty in Guinea," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4961, The World Bank.
- Blackden, Mark & Wodon, Quentin, 2006. "Gender, Time Use, and Poverty: Introduction," MPRA Paper 11080, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nganou, Jean-Pascal & Parra, Juan Carlos & Wodon, Quentin, 2009. "Oil price shocks, poverty, and gender: a social accouting matrix analysis for Kenya," MPRA Paper 28471, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:10:y:2006:i:12:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thorbecke, Erik & Jung, Hong-Sang, 1996. "A multiplier decomposition method to analyze poverty alleviation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 279-300, March.
- Bautista, Romeo M. & Robinson, Sherman & El-Said, Moataz, 1999. "Alternative industrial development paths for Indonesia: SAM and CGE analyses," TMD discussion papers 42, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Round, Jeffrey I, 1985. "Decomposing Multipliers for Economic Systems Involving Regional and World Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(378), pages 383-399, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28465. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.