This paper studies the identification of a simultaneous equation model where the variable of interest is a duration measure. It proposes a game theoretic model in which durations are determined by strategic agents. In the absence of strategic motives, the model delivers a version of the generalized accelerated failure time model. In its most general form, the system resembles a classical simultaneous equation model in which endogenous variables interact with observable and unobservable exogenous components to characterize a certain economic environment. In this paper, the endogenous variables are the individually chosen equilibrium durations. Even though a unique solution to the game is not always attainable in this context, the structural elements of the economic system are shown to be semiparametrically point identified. We also present a brief discussion of estimation ideas and a set of simulation studies on the model.
|Date of creation:||19 Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economics.sas.upenn.edu/pier
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2000.
"Duration Models: Specification, Identification, and Multiple Durations,"
9446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2001. "Duration models: specification, identification and multiple durations," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 55, pages 3381-3460 Elsevier.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Reiss, Peter C., 1991. "Empirical models of discrete games," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1-2), pages 57-81.
- Elie Tamer, 2003. "Incomplete Simultaneous Discrete Response Model with Multiple Equilibria," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(1), pages 147-165, January.
- Simon, Leo K & Stinchcombe, Maxwell B, 1989.
"Extensive Form Games in Continuous Time: Pure Strategies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1171-1214, September.
- Simon, Leo K. & Stinchcombe, Maxwell B., 1987. "Extensive From Games in Continuous Time: Pure Strategies," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt03x115sh, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Leo K. Simon and Maxwell B. Stinchcombe., 1987. "Extensive Form Games in Continuous Time: Pure Strategies," Economics Working Papers 8746, University of California at Berkeley.
- Honore, Bo E, 1993. "Identification Results for Duration Models with Multiple Spells," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 241-46, January.
- Lee, Myoung-jae, 1992.
"Median regression for ordered discrete response,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 59-77.
- Frijters, Paul, 2002.
"The non-parametric identification of lagged duration dependence,"
Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 289-292, May.
- Paul Frijters, 2000. "The Non-Parametric Identification of Lagged Duration Dependence," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-030/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Geert Ridder & Tiemen M. Woutersen, 2003.
"The Singularity of the Information Matrix of the Mixed Proportional Hazard Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1579-1589, 09.
- Geert Ridder & Tiemen Woutersen, 2002. "The Singularity of the Information Matrix of the Mixed Proportional Hazard Model," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20026, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Lee, Sokbae, 2008.
"Estimating Panel Data Duration Models With Censored Data,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(05), pages 1254-1276, October.
- Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2003. "Estimating panel data duration models with censored data," CeMMAP working papers CWP13/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Aureo de Paula, 2004.
"Inference in a Synchronization Game with Social Interactions,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
07-017, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 01 May 2007.
- de Paula, Áureo, 2009. "Inference in a synchronization game with social interactions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 56-71, January.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2002.
"Semiparametric Estimation of a Panel Data Proportional Hazards Model with Fixed Effects,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
A5-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lee, Sokbae, 2004. "Semiparametric estimation of a panel data proportional hazards model with fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 155-198, March.
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2002. "Semiparametric estimation of a panel data proportional hazards model with fixed effects," CeMMAP working papers CWP21/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Chen, Songnian & Khan, Shakeeb, 2003. "Rates of convergence for estimating regression coefficients in heteroskedastic discrete response models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 245-278, December.
- Andreas Park & Lones Smith, 2006.
"Caller Number Five: Timing Games that Morph from One Form to Another,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1554, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andreas Park & Lones Smith, 2004. "Caller Number Five: Timing Games that Morph From One Form to Another," 2004 Meeting Papers 871, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- James J. Heckman, 1977.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
NBER Working Papers
0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2002. "Ordered Response Threshold Estimation," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 535, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 29 Oct 2003.
- Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2001.
"Structurally dependent competing risks,"
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 169-173, November.
- Michael Rosholm & Michael Svarer, . "Structurally Dependent Competing Risks," Economics Working Papers 2000-11, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2001. "Structurally Dependent Competing Risks," IZA Discussion Papers 265, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bergin, James & MacLeod, W Bentley, 1993. "Continuous Time Repeated Games," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(1), pages 21-37, February.
- Roger W. Klein & Robert P. Sherman, 2002. "Shift Restrictions and Semiparametric Estimation in Ordered Response Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 663-691, March.
- Elbers, Chris & Ridder, Geert, 1982. "True and Spurious Duration Dependence: The Identifiability of the Proportional Hazard Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 403-09, July.
- Coppejans, Mark, 2007. "On efficient estimation of the ordered response model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 577-614, April.
- Ridder, Geert, 1990. "The Non-parametric Identification of Generalized Accelerated Failure-Time Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 167-81, April.
- Chunrong Ai, 1997. "A Semiparametric Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 933-964, July.
- Honore, Bo E, 1990. "Simple Estimation of a Duration Model with Unobserved Heterogeneity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 453-73, March.
- Heckman, James J & Borjas, George J, 1980. "Does Unemployment Cause Future Unemployment? Definitions, Questions and Answers from a Continuous Time Model of Heterogeneity and State Dependence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(187), pages 247-83, August.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2003. "The Nonparametric Identification of Treatment Effects in Duration Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1491-1517, 09.
- Frederiksen, Anders & Honore, Bo E. & Hu, Luojia, 2007.
"Discrete time duration models with group-level heterogeneity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1014-1043, December.
- Anders Frederiksen & Bo E. Honoré & Luojia Hu, 2006. "Discrete Time Duration Models with Group-level Heterogeneity," Discussion Papers 05-008, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pen:papers:08-007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dolly Guarini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.